Fashing in Atascosa County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Town of Fashing
First schoolhouse was built in 1917; a second, 1921. The Methodist church, organized 1922, erected first house of worship (building moved in from Bastrop) in 1925. In 1934, St. Elizabeth Catholic Church was built. The Martin Luther Lutheran Church was erected 1948. Present school building was completed in 1952.
A center for mineral development. First local oil production was from Weigang Field, 1946. Tordilla Hill (5 mi. N.) was site of first major uranium discovery in Texas in 1954. After further petroleum strikes in Fashing Edwards Limestone Field, 1958, gas and sulfur processing plants were built by the Elcor Chemical Co., Lone Star Producing Co., Sinclair Oil and Gas Co., and Warren Petroleum Corp. Currently, the only commercial uranium operation in Texas is near here.
Location. 28° 47.53′ N, 98° 8.4′ W. Marker is in Fashing, Texas, in Atascosa County. Marker is at the intersection of Farm to Market Road 2924 and Farm to Market Road 99, on the right when traveling south on Road 2924. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Campbellton TX 78008, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Town of Whitsett (approx. 13.6 miles away).
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by John A Hensarling of Campbellton, Texas. This page has been viewed 488 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by John A Hensarling of Campbellton, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.