“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Pleasanton in Atascosa County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)

Pleasanton City Cemetery

Pleasanton City Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By John A Hensarling, June 23, 2012
1. Pleasanton City Cemetery Marker
Inscription. Begun in 1865 as a family burial ground, the Pleasanton City Cemetery is a reflection of the history of the community from its earliest days. The first burial was that of three-year-old Gustave B. Doak, whose parents, Jonathan and Mary Elizabeth (Zumwalt) Doak, buried him on their property, which was then on the western outskirts of Pleasanton. Friends and relatives of the Doak family came to use the cemetery, which first appeared in county deed records when Jonathan Doak sold his property in 1884 to George Washington Marion Duck, reserving one acre for the cemetery. Additional donations of land over the years enlarged the acreage of the cemetery.

Burials in the Pleasanton City Cemetery include a number of infants and children in the older section, reflecting the harshness of pioneer life in the community's early years. Also buried here are Dr. James H. Lyons (1805-1881), who served in the second Texas legislature, was a Mexican war veteran and twice mayor of San Antonio; Mexican War veteran captain Hartwell Coleman Fountain (1810-1886); Graves Peeler (1886-1977), who is credited with helping save the Longhorn cattle breed in the 1930s; and a number of local officials and community leaders.

Known in the 19th century as the Doak Cemetery and as Sandhill Cemetery, the historic burial ground is maintained by the Pleasanton
Pleasanton City Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By John A Hensarling, June 23, 2012
2. Pleasanton City Cemetery Marker
Cemetery Association.
Erected 2001 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12533.)
Location. 28° 57.867′ N, 98° 29.506′ W. Marker is in Pleasanton, Texas, in Atascosa County. Marker is at the intersection of West Adams Street and North Bryant Street, on the right when traveling west on West Adams Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Pleasanton TX 78064, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pleasanton School Integration (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Baptist Church of Pleasanton (approx. 0.4 miles away); Old Rock Schoolhouse (approx. 0.4 miles away); Pleasanton First United Methodist Church (approx. half a mile away); Pleasanton (approx. 0.6 miles away); Cooper Chapter No. 101, Royal Arch Masons (approx. 0.6 miles away); St. John Evangelical Lutheran Church (approx. 3.8 miles away); Ralph Roy Smith (approx. 3.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Pleasanton.
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial Sites
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by John A Hensarling of Campbellton, Texas. This page has been viewed 371 times since then and 69 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by John A Hensarling of Campbellton, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement