Pleasanton School Integration
Opposition to school integration in Texas was very apparent and bills such as House Bill 65 abolished the right of school trustees to integrate without a petition from the community and then a vote. The community of Pleasanton provided the petition and held a vote on October 26, 1957. By a vote of 343 to 88, Pleasanton School District became the first integrated school under House Bill 65. On November 1, 1957, nine black students entered the new high school with several media outlets present to record the event. Unlike many other integrated institutions, the Pleasanton High
Erected 2009 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16243.)
Location. 28° 57.88′ N, 98° 29.65′ W. Marker is in Pleasanton, Texas, in Atascosa County. Marker is on W. Adams Street. Click for map. Between School and Mark Streets. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1100 W. Adams, Pleasanton TX 78064, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pleasanton City Cemetery (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Baptist Church of Pleasanton (approx. half a mile away); Old Rock Schoolhouse (approx. 0.6 miles away); Pleasanton First United Methodist Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); Pleasanton (approx. 0.7 miles away); Cooper Chapter No. 101, Royal Arch Masons (approx. 0.7 miles away); St. John Evangelical Lutheran Church (approx. 3.7 miles away); Ralph Roy Smith (approx. 3.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Pleasanton.
Categories. • African Americans • Civil Rights • Education •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by John A Hensarling of Campbellton, Texas. This page has been viewed 412 times since then and 56 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by John A Hensarling of Campbellton, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.