“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Pleasanton in Atascosa County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)

Old Rock Schoolhouse

Old Rock Schoolhouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By John A Hensarling, June 21, 2012
1. Old Rock Schoolhouse Marker
Inscription. Constructed of locally quarried red sandstone, the Old Rock Schoolhouse was built in 1874 with funds pledged by citizens of Pleasanton. Once completed, the building was deeded to the county for free public school purposes. In addition to its educational function, the schoolhouse also served as a place of worship for the First Baptist Church from 1875 to 1883.

A storm cellar in the school yard served as a sanctuary against Comanche Indian raids on many occasions. Children attended classes six months of the year at no charge, but paid tuition for the remaining three months of the term. The Pleasanton Normal School, a training institute for teachers, operated in the schoolhouse during the summer months.

After the city built a new public school on Main Street about 1913, the Old Rock Schoolhouse was closed. It later served as a store, a private residence, and an apartment building. Purchased by the First Baptist Church in 1986, it later was renovated to serve once again as an educational facility. Known for many years to local residents as the "Red Rock Schoolhouse," its original sandstone exterior was concealed under a coat of plaster and paint.
Erected 1991 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 3797.)
Old Rock Schoolhouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By John A Hensarling, June 21, 2012
2. Old Rock Schoolhouse Marker
28° 57.73′ N, 98° 29.125′ W. Marker is in Pleasanton, Texas, in Atascosa County. Marker is at the intersection of West College Street and North Smith Street, on the right when traveling west on West College Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 201 College Street, Pleasanton TX 78064, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Baptist Church of Pleasanton (within shouting distance of this marker); Pleasanton First United Methodist Church (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Pleasanton (approx. 0.2 miles away); Pleasanton City Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away); Cooper Chapter No. 101, Royal Arch Masons (approx. 0.6 miles away); Pleasanton School Integration (approx. 0.6 miles away); St. John Evangelical Lutheran Church (approx. 4 miles away); Ralph Roy Smith (approx. 4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Pleasanton.
Categories. Churches, Etc.Education
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by John A Hensarling of Campbellton, Texas. This page has been viewed 404 times since then and 63 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by John A Hensarling of Campbellton, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement