Near Rossville in Atascosa County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Sand Branch Baptist Church
By the early 1900s the schoolhouse was no longer adequate for the growing congregation and plans were initiated for the construction of a separate sanctuary. Built by the members, it was completed in 1904 at this location. The land was conveyed by member W.W. Davidson, who had earlier deeded the adjacent cemetery site. New church facilities were constructed here later.
For over a century the Sand Branch Baptist Church has played a significant role in the development of the area. Church facilities have been used for a variety of civic activities and members of the congregation have served as prominent leaders of the Sand Branch community. In addition, as an early member of the Rio Grande Baptist Association, later renamed the Frio River Baptist Association, the church has been active in area missionary work.
Erected 1982 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4559.)
Location. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Poteet TX 78065, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Anchorage Cemetery (approx. 2.8 miles away); Rossville Cemetery (approx. 4.2 miles away); Rossville (approx. 4.5 miles away); Site of Jose Antonio Navarro Ranch Headquarters (approx. 6.2 miles away); Amphion and Amphion Cemetery (approx. 8.5 miles away); Old Rock Baptist Church (approx. 10 miles away); Benton City Cemetery (approx. 10.2 miles away); Poteet (approx. 10.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Rossville.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by John A Hensarling of Campbellton, Texas. This page has been viewed 444 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by John A Hensarling of Campbellton, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.