Asheville in Buncombe County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Asheville Normal School
1887 as Home Industrial
School. Teacher's College
1892-1944. Stood nearby.
Erected 1984 by Division of Archives and History. (Marker Number P-61.)
Location. 35° 34.669′ N, 82° 33.061′ W. Marker is in Asheville, North Carolina, in Buncombe County. Marker is on Victoria Road near Livingston Street, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Located near the Medical complex. Marker is in this post office area: Asheville NC 28801, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. Genevieve ~ Of ~ The ~ Pines (approx. 0.2 miles away); Newton Academy (approx. ¼ mile away); Smith-McDowell House (approx. half a mile away); Flood of 1916 (approx. 0.7 miles away); Private George Avery (approx. 0.8 miles away); Biltmore House (approx. 0.8 miles away); The County of Buncombe (approx. 0.9 miles away); Daniel K. Moore (approx. one mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Asheville.
Regarding Asheville Normal School. Under the guidance of Dr. Thomas Lawrence, with the generous donation of land by the Pease family, and with the support of the Presbyterian Board of Home Missions,
The school prospered and a normal school was added in 1892 with the purpose of training teachers to work in the rural highlands. It went through several name changes and eventually became a conglomerate of several sister schools, called the Asheville Normal and Associated Schools, including the Normal, Farm School, Home School, and Pease House. Warren Wilson College in Swannanoa is a descendant institution. The school sought to train the whole student, providing practical knowledge in furniture and house construction as well as music and teaching methods. Faculty members were brought to the associated schools from throughout the country who taught topics such as weaving, mathematics, literature and cooking.
By 1918 the school had graduated 570 women. The motto of “Service” was the guiding force for many of the school’s graduates. Service for the school meant work with the people of western North Carolina and the Appalachian region to “stimulate
The Board of Home Missions changed the school’s name to the Asheville Normal and Teachers College in 1931 and the school then offered a Bachelor of Science in Education. The newly organized college was approved by the American Association of Teachers’ Colleges in 1933. Financial support from the Board of National Missions ended in 1940 and, to fill the void, local citizens banded together to support the school, changing its name to Asheville College. Attempts to keep the school open failed and it closed its doors in 1944. The property and buildings were sold for a hospital and were later torn down to make way for Memorial Mission Hospital.(North Carolina Office of Archives & History — Department of Cultural Resources)
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 524 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.