“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Jourdanton in Atascosa County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)

Jourdanton City Cemetery

Jourdanton City Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By John A Hensarling, June 23, 2012
1. Jourdanton City Cemetery Marker
Inscription. T.H. Zanderson and city namesake Jourdan Campbell bought the 40,000-acre Toby Ranch in 1907 and laid out the town of Jourdanton. The original plat included two blocks designated for use as a cemetery. The Artesian Belt Railroad built through the site and the town grew quickly, with a lumberyard, cotton gin, grocery stores, bank, restaurants, hotels, churches and a school among the early establishments. The railroad improved shipping of livestock and produce to San Antonio and other points. In 1910, citizens voted to move the Atascosa County seat from Pleasanton to Jourdanton.

The Jourdanton City Cemetery was originally used by all denominations; Lutheran and Catholic cemeteries were later established in other locations. The earliest marked graves here are those of Roland Purgason, an infant who died in 1910, and William P. White, who died in 1911. The Jourdanton City Cemetery Association organized in 1918, with John Moore as first president. The association added acreage to the cemetery in the 1950s, enlarging the graveyard to more than three city blocks. About one hundred veterans buried here have been identified, at least seven having served during the Civil War. Notable burials and gravestones include members of fraternal organizations and several law enforcement personnel, including four sheriffs and one deputy who was
Jourdanton City Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By John A Hensarling, June 23, 2012
2. Jourdanton City Cemetery Marker
killed in the line of duty. Grave markers vary from simple wooden crosses to curbed family plots. The Jourdanton City Cemetery shows the cultural and economic diversity of this South Texas town, built rapidly because of the railroad and attracting people of varied ethnic backgrounds who made the site their home.
Historic Texas Cemetery - 2008

Erected 2008 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15165.)
Location. 28° 54.717′ N, 98° 31.952′ W. Marker is in Jourdanton, Texas, in Atascosa County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Walton Avenue and Fig Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Jourdanton TX 78026, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Jourdanton United Methodist Church (approx. mile away); Jourdanton (approx. 0.9 miles away); Ralph Roy Smith (approx. 0.9 miles away); St. John Evangelical Lutheran Church (approx. 0.9 miles away); Atascosa County Courthouse (approx. 0.9 miles away); Atascosa County (approx. one mile away); a different marker also named Atascosa County Courthouse (approx. one mile away); Martin Abstract Company (approx. one mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Jourdanton.
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesRailroads & StreetcarsSettlements & Settlers
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by John A Hensarling of Campbellton, Texas. This page has been viewed 410 times since then and 73 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by John A Hensarling of Campbellton, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement