Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Greenville in Plumas County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Bransford & McIntyre Store

 
 
Bransford & McIntyre Store Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, May 31, 2012
1. Bransford & McIntyre Store Marker
Inscription. McIntyre & Co.ís General Store was on this site in the mid 1870ís. The building was burned in 1881 but was immediately replace with the brick building that is standing today. By 1883 the new general store included the telegraph & Wells Fargo Express. The building is built like a fortress complete with steel shuttered doors and windows.
 
Erected 2005 by E Clampus Vitus, Las Plumas del Oro Chapter No. 8 & Vigilante Chapter No. 1911.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
 
Location. 40° 8.382′ N, 120° 57.068′ W. Marker is in Greenville, California, in Plumas County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and Cresent Street (California Highway 89), on the right when traveling south on Main Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Greenville CA 95947, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Sincerity Lodge 132 F.&A.M. (within shouting distance of this marker); Bransford & McIntyre Warehouse (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Peter Lassen (approx. 3.9 miles away); Seneca (approx.
Bransford & McIntyre Store Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, May 31, 2012
2. Bransford & McIntyre Store Marker
7.3 miles away); First Permanent Residence in Indian Valley (approx. 7.3 miles away); Taylorsville Veterans Memorial (approx. 7.4 miles away); Taylorville General Store (approx. 7.4 miles away); Taylorsville Cemetery (approx. 7.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Greenville.
 
Regarding Bransford & McIntyre Store. Mclntyre and Co's general store was on this site in the mid-1870's. After Joseph S. Hall bought it, he added a soda bottling works in the back of the frame building. The building burned in 1881 but was immediately replaced with the brick building that is standing today. By 1883 the new general store, run by Bransford and A. D. Mclntyre, included the telegraph and Wells Fargo Express (note the mural on the side of the building). J. R. Murray became the next owner in 1890. In the following decade the building was used as a warehouse, furniture store, temporary bank, pool and card room, restaurant and tavern. The building is built like a fortress complete with steel-shuttered doors and windows.
Greenville Walking Tour brochure
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceRailroads & Streetcars
 
Bransford & McIntyre Store Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 1, 2012
3. Bransford & McIntyre Store Marker
Bransford & McIntyre Store Mural, part A image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, May 31, 2012
4. Bransford & McIntyre Store Mural, part A
Bransford & McIntyre Store Mural, part B image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, May 31, 2012
5. Bransford & McIntyre Store Mural, part B
Bransford & McIntyre Store Mural, part C image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, May 31, 2012
6. Bransford & McIntyre Store Mural, part C
Bransford & McIntyre Store Mural, part D image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, May 31, 2012
7. Bransford & McIntyre Store Mural, part D
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 285 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement