Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Columbus in Muscogee County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

This Gun

 
 
This Gun Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, June 19, 2012
1. This Gun Marker
Inscription. This gun was one of the battery of the Confederate ram, built in Columbus, captured and burned by Wilson Raiders.

Apr. 16, 1865
 
Erected by Benning Camp, United Confederate Veterans.
 
Location. 32° 28.55′ N, 84° 59.033′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Georgia, in Muscogee County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Linwood Boulevard and 7th Avenue. Click for map. The marker is in Linwood Cemetery, overlooking the Confederate graves in Section Cemetery M in the southwest corner of the cemetery, behind the Sexton's office. Marker is in this post office area: Columbus GA 31901, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Confederate Dead (within shouting distance of this marker); Linwood Cemetery (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Columbus' First Jewish Cemetery (about 500 feet away); Brigadier General Henry Lewis Benning (about 600 feet away); Saint John African Methodist Episcopal Church (about 700 feet away); Colored Department of the City Hospital / Doctors and Nurses (approx. 0.2 miles away); Last Land Battle in War of 1861-65 (approx. 0.3 miles away); Tyler Home (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Columbus.
 
More about this marker.
6.4-inch Brooke Rifle image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, June 19, 2012
2. 6.4-inch Brooke Rifle
The United Confederate Veterans held its last reunion in 1951, so the marker must predate that time.
 
Regarding This Gun. The gun is a 6.4-inch Brooke Rifled Cannon, S85, weighing 10,800 pounds. It was made at the Confederate Naval Gun Foundry, Selma, Alabama.

The Confederate ram mentioned on the marker was the C.S.S. Jackson, also known as the C.S.S. Chattahoochee. It carried four 7-inch Brooke Rifles, two 6.4-inch Brooke Rifles, and two 12 pounder boat howitzers.

The remains of the C.S.S. Jackson are at the Confederate Naval Museum in Columbus. Further information about the ship is here:
http://portcolumbus.org/exhibits/css-jackson/

A photograph of the Jackson shortly after launching is here:
http://4thga.homestead.com/CSS_Jackson.html
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
Showing damage to Muzzle image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, June 19, 2012
3. Showing damage to Muzzle
This Gun Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, June 19, 2012
4. This Gun Marker
Overlooking the Confederate graves in Linwood Cemetery
The Brooke Rifle Overlooking the Confederate graves in Linwood Cemetery image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, June 19, 2012
5. The Brooke Rifle Overlooking the Confederate graves in Linwood Cemetery
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 329 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement