Milwaukee in Milwaukee County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
East Wisconsin Avenue
The Chicago & Northwestern Railway Station was a landmark at the east end of Wisconsin Avenue from its construction in 1889 until its demolition in 1968. The Richardsonian Romanesque station, designed by Chicago architect Charles Sumner Frost, was among Milwaukee’s largest structures when it was built, supported by heavy walls of granite, brownstone, and red pressed brick. It replaced the original depot, an unprepossessing wooden structure at the same site, which had been built in 1872-73. For decades, until the land was filled in, the railroad tracks were not far from the water’s edge.
Lincoln Memorial drive, made possible by the landfill, was completed in 1929. Lincoln Memorial Bridge spanned the railroad tracks that ran below the bluff along the lakefront and connected Mason Street and Lincoln Memorial Drive.
For most of its existence, the downtown lakefront was a working lakefront. A municipal airport built in 1927 and known as Maitland Field was located between the railroad tracks and Lake
The War Memorial Center, designed by architect Eero Saarinen, was completed in 1957. The Milwaukee Art Center occupied space in the upper portion of the building until the lower level galleries were completed in 1963. These were enlarged between 1970 and 1975. In 1980 the name was changed to the Milwaukee Art Museum. The newest addition opened in 2001 and was designed by Santiago Calatrava.
At about the same time, in 1971-73, Wisconsin’s largest and tallest building was built—the First Wisconsin Center (now the US Bank building) at 777 East Wisconsin Avenue. The architects were Skidmore, Owings and Merrill of Chicago.
In the early 1990s, the O’Donnell Park complex was developed on the site of the Chicago & Northwestern Railway Station, complete with the abstract steel sculpture “The Calling” by artist Mark di Suvero, which is owned by the Milwaukee Art Museum.
Location. 43° 2.34′ Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 875 E Wisconsin Ave, Milwaukee WI 53202, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Historic Milwaukee (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Service Star Legion World War I Memorial (about 700 feet away); Abraham Lincoln (about 800 feet away); Brig. Gen. Rufus King’s Home (approx. 0.2 miles away); Milwaukee County War Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Milwaukee Cargo Pier (approx. 0.2 miles away); Northwestern National Insurance Company (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Historic Milwaukee (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Milwaukee.
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 624 times since then and 125 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. submitted on , by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. 11. submitted on . • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.