Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Milwaukee in Milwaukee County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Milwaukee River Flushing Pump

1888

 

—National Historic Mechanical Engineering Landmark —

 
Milwaukee River Flushing Pump Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bob (peach) Weber, June 28, 2012
1. Milwaukee River Flushing Pump Marker
Inscription. This pump, designed by Edwin Reynolds (1831-1909) and built by the Edward P. Allis Company, is the major component of one of the earliest water-pollution control systems. It was capable of pumping more than a half billion gallons of water a day, the highest-capacity pump in the world when installed. It still is used during the summer to pump water from Lake Michigan into the Milwaukee River upstream of the downtown area. This maintains a current in the lower portion of the river and greatly reduces the concentration of pollutants.
 
Erected 1992 by The American Society of Mechanical Engineers.
 
Location. 43° 3.213′ N, 87° 53.208′ W. Marker is in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, in Milwaukee County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of North Lincoln Memorial Drive and East Lafayette Hill Road, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Located on the southeast facing exterior wall of Alterra Coffee. Marker is in this post office area: Milwaukee WI 53202, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Civil War Camp (approx. 0.2 miles away); Charles Allis House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Villa Terrace (approx. 0.4 miles away);
Old Pump House constructed of Cream City Brick image. Click for full size.
By Bob (peach) Weber, June 28, 2012
2. Old Pump House constructed of Cream City Brick
Building is now Alterra Coffee
Old North Point Water Tower (approx. 0.6 miles away); Saint John's Infirmary (approx. 0.6 miles away); Saint Mary's School of Nursing (approx. 0.6 miles away); Edward Diederichs House (approx. 0.7 miles away); The Prospect Avenue “Spite” House (approx. ¾ mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Milwaukee.
 
Also see . . .
1. Article on the building that includes a photo of the pump. (Submitted on July 3, 2012, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.)
2. Brochure on dedication of the landmark (pdf). (Submitted on July 3, 2012, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.)
 
Categories. EnvironmentMan-Made Features
 
Near the Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bob (peach) Weber, June 28, 2012
3. Near the Marker
Gate Pole information note near the Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bob (peach) Weber, June 28, 2012
4. Gate Pole information note near the Marker
The triangular-shaped covers of the gate valve are removed and wooden poles are inserted into the fou-hole ring. Two to four people take a pole and walk the 360 degrees around the gate valve. It may take as many as 150 to 200 revolutions to either open or close the gate valve.
Near the Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bob (peach) Weber, June 28, 2012
5. Near the Marker
Near the Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bob (peach) Weber, June 28, 2012
6. Near the Marker
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bob (peach) Weber of Prescott Valley, Arizona. This page has been viewed 443 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Bob (peach) Weber of Prescott Valley, Arizona.   3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by Bob (peach) Weber of Prescott Valley, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement