Graysville in Greene County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Pioneer David Gray for whom this village is named, tomahawked a homestead of 2174 A. here in 1768 and became owner of Fort Enoch circa 1769; enlarged it and renamed it Fort Gray. About 1820 on this same site his son Francis Washington Gray erected "Old Brick."-Tavern Inn which provided overnight lodging for stock drivers who travelled through on this "Old Drovers Road."
Erected 1974 by Gift of Nora Lee Orndorff, In memory of her father John Barclay Orndorff.
Location. 39° 55.904′ N, 80° 23.275′ W. Marker is in Graysville, Pennsylvania, in Greene County. Marker is on W Roy Furman Highway (Pennsylvania Route 21) 0.1 miles west of Main Street, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Located in a Wayside Park. Marker is in this post office area: Graysville PA 15337, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Church - "New Brick" (a few steps from this marker); Ryerson's Blockhouse (approx. 2.8 miles away); Site of Old Lindley Fort and Stockade Waynesburg College (approx. 10.7 miles away); West Park (approx. 10.7 miles away); a different marker also named Waynesburg College (approx. 10.8 miles away); Greene County Civil War Memorial (approx. 10.9 miles away); Company K, 110th U.S. Infantry (10th PA) World War Memorial (approx. 10.9 miles away).
Categories. • Notable Places •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 365 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.