Point Harbor in Currituck County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Avenue of War
On June 9, 1861, Confederate Gen. Walter Gwynn, commander of the coastal defenses, urged Currituck Countyís citizens to send both enslaved and free black laborers to build fortifications on Roanoke Island. Local boats also played an important role in fortifying the North Carolina coast. One, CSACurrituck, was a wooden, screw-propeller steamer, constructed in Norfolk in 1860. The vessel was small, about 44 tons and 60 feet in length. It transported supplies through the sound, carried troops, towed schooners, and finally was sent back to Roanoke Island in February 1862 under a flag of truce with terms of surrender, which were not accepted. After the Battle of Roanoke Island, Currituck removed Confederate supplies across the sound to Point Harbor here at the southern tip of Currituck County.
Union control of the sounds and coastal watercourses strengthened the Federal blockade of Southern ports. The Confederates scuttled a ship north of here in Currituck Sound to obstruct the Narrows but
Erected by North Carolina Civil War Trails.
Location. 36° 5.639′ N, 75° 47.854′ W. Marker is in Point Harbor, North Carolina, in Currituck County. Marker can be reached from Kitty Hawk half a mile east of Caratoke Highway (U.S. 158), in the median. Click for map. Located in Sound Park. Marker is in this post office area: Point Harbor NC 27964, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Take a Boy Fishing in North Carolina (approx. 4.6 miles away); Monument to a Century of Flight (approx. 4.6 miles away); Powder Ridge Club (approx. 5.7 miles away); Wright Brothers' Memorial (approx. 5.8 miles away); Field Research Facility (approx. 6.4 miles away); Kill Devil Hills Fire Rescue Memorial (approx. 8.3 miles away); Thomas J. Jarvis (approx. 8.6 miles away); The First Successful Flight of an Airplane (approx. 8.8 miles away).
More about this marker. On the left is an image with the caption, "The small vessels in this lithograph are similar to CSA Currituck Courtesy Tryon Palace
In the center is a map of "Currituck County, ca. 1858" Courtesy University of North Carolina Libraries
On the right is an illustration with the caption, "Currituck Sound from Frank Leslieís Illustrated Newspaper (1859)" — Courtesy The Marinerís Museum
Categories. • War, US Civil • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 348 times since then and 68 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.