Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fort Meade in Polk County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Christ Church

Episcopal

 
 
Christ Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, June 27, 2012
1. Christ Church Marker
Inscription.
Built 1889
National Register
of
Historic Places
May 6, 1976

 
Erected 1976. (Marker Number 76000605.)
 
Location. 27° 45.133′ N, 81° 47.768′ W. Marker is in Fort Meade, Florida, in Polk County. Marker is at the intersection of North Cleveland Avenue and East Broadway Street (U.S. 98), on the left when traveling north on North Cleveland Avenue. Click for map. The marker stands to the right of the entrance along the church's south wall, facing East Broadway Street. Marker is at or near this postal address: One North Cleveland Avenue, Fort Meade FL 33841, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of Fort Meade (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lt. Gen. Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fort Meade Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); Florida 2000 Center of Population (approx. 0.3 miles away); Willoughby Tillis Battle Monument (approx. 0.4 miles away); Historic Kissengen Spring (approx. 4.9 miles away); Homeland School (approx. 5 miles away); Fort Chokonikla (approx. 9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Fort Meade.
 
More about this marker.
Christ Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, June 27, 2012
2. Christ Church Marker
The marker is capped with a cross.
 
Regarding Christ Church. Designed by architect J. H. Weddell, Christ Church is one of the region's oldest religious structures and is an important example of Carpenter Gothic architecture.

Some sources place the church's address on Broadway Street or Oak Avenue, however, the Episcopal Diocese of Central Florida lists the address as North Cleveland Avenue.

In addition to its individual listing with the National Register of Historic Places (ref #76000605), Christ Church became a Contributing Property of the Fort Meade Historic District when the district was added to the National Register in 1994.
 
Also see . . .  The Christ Church page on Wikipedia. (Submitted on July 2, 2012, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida.)
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
Christ Church & Marker image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, June 27, 2012
3. Christ Church & Marker
Rev. William James Reid House image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, June 27, 2012
4. Rev. William James Reid House
Across North Cleveland Avenue from Christ Church sits one of Fort Meade's oldest homes. Built between 1892-1914 as a home for Methodist minister, Reverend William J. Reid, the house remains a private residence today. The Reid House was named a Contributing Property of the Fort Meade Historic District by the National Register of Historic Places in 1994.

In 1990, the Rev. William James Reid House was used by HBO to film the movie "Judgement", featuring Blythe Danner and Keith Carradine.
Reid House Plaque image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, June 27, 2012
5. Reid House Plaque
A plaque on the home reads:

Rev. Wm. James Reid House
1892
Fort Meade Historic District
Fort Meade, Florida
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. This page has been viewed 319 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement