Monuments in Bryant Park
An “outdoor museum” of public art works
(17) The bronze of the American writer Gertrude Stein (1874-1946), just to the west of the Bryant Memorial, was created in 1923 by the New York-born sculptor, Jo Davidson. Donated to the park in 1992, the statue is a cast made from the original, which is now in the collection of the Whitney Museum of American Art.
(16) On the south side of the park is a bronze bust of the great German writer Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749-1832), by Karl Fischer, who created the bust in the year Goethe died. The Goethe Club of New York purchased it in 1876 and donated it to the Metropolitan Museum of Art – which in turn donated it to Bryant Park in 1932, the centennial of the writer’s death.
(19) Master sculptor John Quincy Adams Ward’s bronze statue of William Earle Dodge (1805-83) on the north side of the park, was one of the first in the city to honor a local citizen. Dodge was a businessman (Phelps, Dodge & Co., Native American
(15) Dedicated in 1912, the pink granite Josephine Shaw Lowell Memorial Fountain by Charles Adams Platt, an authority on Italian Renaissance gardens and fountains, was the city’s first public memorial to a woman. Social worker Lowell (1843-1905) founded the Charity Organization Society in 1882.
(21) Overlooking Avenue of the Americas is a bronze statue of José Bonifácio de Andrada e Silva (1763-1838), by José Otávio Correia Lima. Dedicated in 1955, the statue was a gift from the people of Brazil when Sixth Avenue was renamed and conceived in the spirit of pan-American cooperation. Andrada, a leader in the Brazilian fight for independence from Portugal, became Brazil’s first prime minister.
(20) Just to the north of Andrada, also on the Avenue of the Americas, is bronze statue of Benito Juárez (1806-1872), by Moises Cabrera Orozco. Juárez, a beloved Mexican President, is the first Mexican to be commemorated with a city monument. The statue was a gift from the Mexican State of Oaxaca to the City of New York and was dedicated on October 9, 2004.
Location. 40° 45.239′ N, 73° 58.979′ W. Marker is in New York, New York, in
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bryant Park Today (within shouting distance of this marker); Buildings Overlooking Bryant Park (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Crystal Palace (about 300 feet away); Early Bryant Park (about 400 feet away); New York Public Library (about 600 feet away); Algonquin Hotel (about 700 feet away); "The Kneeling Fireman" (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Fred F. French Building (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in New York.
Also see . . . Wiliam Cullen Bryant - Poem Hunter. Bryant edited the very successful Picturesque America which was published between 1872 and 1874. This two-volume set was lavishly illustrated and described scenic places in the United States and Canada. (Submitted on July 3, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.)
Categories. • Notable Places •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 293 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.