Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Eastman in Dodge County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Jefferson Davis

 
 
Jefferson Davis Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, June 29, 2012
1. Jefferson Davis Marker
Inscription. On May 4, 1865, Jefferson Davis arrived in Washington, Georgia (132 miles NE, where he performed what proved to be his last duties as President of the Confederate States of America. Shortly thereafter, with a small staff and escort, he departed enroute to the trans-Mississippi Department, from which vantage point he hoped to negotiate a just peace. Traveling via Warthen and Sandersville he reached the home of Mr. E. J. Blackshear (10 miles N of Dublin) early on May 7th, after finding his family camped nearby.

Stopping only for breakfast he pushed on -- Mrs. Davis’ party added to his -- reaching Dublin (30 miles NE) about 11 o’clock. After securing supplies, he again pushed on. He camped near Alligator Creek (10 miles NE) and again four miles SE of Eastman (UDC marker at site), unaware that the 1st Wisconsin Cavalry [US] had learned of his passage through Dublin and had begun a pursuit.

After crossing the Ocmulgee River near Abbeville (20 miles SW), he camped a mile N of Irwinville (46 miles SW) in the present Jefferson Davis Memorial State Park. At dawn on May 10th, his camp was surrounded by men of the 1st Wisconsin and 4th Michigan cavalry regiments [US] and he became a “state prisoner,” his hopes for a new nation, in which each state would exercise without interference its cherished “Constitutional
Jefferson Davis Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, June 29, 2012
2. Jefferson Davis Marker
Rights,” forever dead.
 
Erected 1957 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 045-2.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 32° 11.911′ N, 83° 10.781′ W. Marker is in Eastman, Georgia, in Dodge County. Marker is at the intersection of Oak Street (U.S. 23) and Sixth Avenue, on the right when traveling east on Oak Street. Click for map. The marker stands at the First Baptist Church in Eastman. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5107 Oak Street, Eastman GA 31023, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 17 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Eastman-Bishop-Bullock House (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Dodge County (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Blackshear Road (approx. half a mile away); Old Eastman School (approx. 0.6 miles away); Stuckey's (approx. 1.2 miles away); Orphans Cemetery (approx. 2.2 miles away); Normandale (approx. 10.2 miles away); Lucian A. Whipple (approx. 16.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Eastman.
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
Jefferson Davis Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, June 29, 2012
3. Jefferson Davis Marker
Looking southeast on Oak Street (US Highway 23) toward the center of Eastman.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 314 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement