Inscription. Devereux Station, constructed in 1863 on the Orange and Alexandria (O&A) Railroad, was located down the tracks to your left. After the Confederate army withdrew from northern Virginia toward Richmond in March 1862, the U.S. Military Railroad (USMRR) assumed control of all railways in Federal territory. The siding here, named for USMRR superintendent John Henry Devereux, supplied wood to fuel O&A locomotives.
July 4, 2012
|1. Devereux Station Marker|
The O&A was the Union army’s lifeline, efficiently moving provisions, equipment, and men from Alexandria deep into central Virginia. Confederate partisan units, such as the Chinquapin Rangers and Mosby’s Rangers, frequently attacked the line, the workers, and the Federal troops. With the support of pro-Confederate local residents, the partisan units were successful in disrupting Union railroad operations. In 1863, Gen. George G. Meade issued a proclamation on July 30 informing residents within ten miles of the railroad that they would be held responsible “for any injury done to the road, trains, depots or stations by citizens, guerrillas, or persons in disguise.” Meade also announced that if attacks did not cease, the entire population “of the district or the country along the railroad [would] be put across the lines, and their property taken for government use.” The threat was not carried out, although
individuals were detained periodically.
July 4, 2012
|2. Devereux Station Marker|
(Sidebar): Capt. James C. Kincheloe and his brother Sgt. William S. Kincheloe served with the Chinquapin Rangers. On November 25, 1863, this unit conducted a raid near Devereux Station. In retaliation, Union soldiers rounded up local residents considered suspicious, including the brothers’ father, John Kincheloe IV. The Kincheloe plantation was located approximately a mile south of here.
Erected 2012 by Virginia Civil War Trails.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Virginia Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 38° 46.85′ N, 77° 23.222′ W. Marker is in Clifton, Virginia, in Fairfax County. Marker is on Main Street / Clifton Road (Virginia Route 645), on the left when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Clifton VA 20124, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, as the crow flies. A different marker also named Devereux Station (within shouting distance of this marker); Ivakota Farm (approx. 1.3 miles away); Union Mills Historic Site (approx. 2.4 miles away); Fairfax Station (approx. 3.3 miles away); a different marker also named Fairfax Station (approx. 3.3 miles away); Fairfax Nike Missile Site (approx. 3.3 miles away); Battle of Bull Run Bridge (approx. 3.3 miles away); Conner House (approx. 3.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Clifton.
|3. Photo on Marker - Devereux Station|
|From National Archives and Records Administration No. 111-B-4877|
More about this marker. On the left side of the marker is a photo captioned Constructing Y switch at Devereux Station to allow trains to pull off and turn around - Courtesy National Archives & Records Administration. On the right side of the marker is a map captioned Orange & Alexandria Railroad - Courtesy Library of Congress. The marker sidebar features two portraits captioned Capt. James C. Kincheloe and Sgt. William S. Kincheloe both Courtesy Kincheloe Family.
Also see . . .
1. Proclamation. Headquarters Army Of The Potomac, July 30, 1863. Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Series 1 - Volume 27 (Part III) (Submitted on July 6, 2012.)
2. The Orange & Alexandria Railroad. Northern Virginia Community College (NVCC) Web site (Submitted on July 6, 2012.)
Credits. This page originally submitted on July 6, 2012. This page has been viewed 150 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 6, 2012. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |