Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
New Paltz in Ulster County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Stone Church-1773

 
 
Stone Church-1773 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Howard C. Ohlhous, September 17, 2007
1. Stone Church-1773 Marker
Inscription.
First Stone Church, 1717.
Services in French to 1753,
Dutch language to 1800.
Church corner stone seen
at south wall of portico.

 
Erected 1935 by New York State Education Department.
 
Location. 41° 45.135′ N, 74° 5.308′ W. Marker is in New Paltz, New York, in Ulster County. Marker is on Huguenot Street, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: New Paltz NY 12561, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bevier House (within shouting distance of this marker); Hasbrouck House (within shouting distance of this marker); Freer House (within shouting distance of this marker); Dubois House (within shouting distance of this marker); Deyo House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); New Paltz (about 500 feet away); Jean Hasbrouck House (about 500 feet away); New Paltz Patentees (about 500 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in New Paltz.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Colonial EraNotable Buildings
 
Reformed Church 1839 image. Click for full size.
By Howard C. Ohlhous, September 17, 2007
2. Reformed Church 1839
The Reformed Church of 1839 replaced the earlier stone churches.
Sign on the front of the Reformed Church image. Click for full size.
By Howard C. Ohlhous, September 17, 2007
3. Sign on the front of the Reformed Church
The Reformed Church
January 22, 1983 Marks 300 Years of Christian Worship on Huguenot Street, First, In French, The Language of the Homeland, in a Log Cabin Called, The Walloon Church, Close by the Graves of the Patentees a Church of Stone was built in 1717. A replica of that church Stands on the site. In 1777 Dutch Settlers Built the second Stone Church Farther north where the language of the Lowlands merged with French. In 1839 the Present Brick Church replaced the Churches of Stone. Transepts were added in 1872. The interior was renovated in 1952 to conform to the classical period. The church today is a splendid example of Greek Revival Architecture.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. This page has been viewed 811 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photo of the church corner stone at the south wall of the portico. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement