Petersburg, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Old Market Square
In the 1600s, just north of the present day market, the Appomattox River took a sharp turn around a horn of land known as Appomattox Point. The Quaker Indian traders Robert Hix and John Evans set up a trading post there in the late seventeenth century. They were later joined by Richard Jones, the son of Peter Jones who established the trading post a block to the west of here. Jones inherited this land from his grandfather, Abraham Wood, the commander of Fort Henry. Wood had a monopoly on the Indian trade until Bacon’s Rebellion in 1676, and during that time had led or dispatched from Fort Henry the most important seventeenth-century explorations in British North America. Fort Henry and Appomattox Point anchored the northern end of the trading path that led southward to the Nottoway, Meherrin, and Tuscarora Indians, and connected just to the west to the trading path that led southwestward to Hillsborough, North Carolina, home of the Cherokees and the Catawbas. In the early 18th century, as increased settlement pushed the colonial frontier westward and southward, trade with the Indians moved followed this movement away from Petersburg.
When Richard Jones moved away in 1705, he sold this land to the well-placed and ambitious Robert Bolling,
A Gift to the City
This site had probably seen informal use as a market, when in 1791, Robert Bolling and the City agreed that it was to be used, “in perpetuity,” as a market free of charge to the vendor, or it would revert to Bolling ownership. The first market building was destroyed along with most of downtown in the Great Fire of 1815. The present market building is the fourth market building to occupy the site. It was built in 1878-79, and was originally known as the Farm Market Center. It was designed by the Baltimore-trained architect B.J. Black, a captain of one of Petersburg’s volunteer companies during the Civil War. Generally, meats were sold inside and produce outside. Until blue laws were passed in the 1850s, slaves were able to sell their own meats, poultry, fish, and produce here on Sundays, their day off. The Market appears never to have been used for slave sales. In the third quarter of the twentieth century, it was converted into a supermarket, and in the fourth quarter into a nightclub. It is now being renovated as Petersburg’s new Visitor Center.
The Square was defined in 1808, when Cockade Alley was laid out on the eastern edge, and in 1815, when the new market buildings were pulled back to the north, allowing the extension of Old Street eastward to Cockade Alley. Rock Street and River Street were ancient roads. Soon the periphery of the square was entirely surrounded by brick buildings with market-related stores and shops below and dwellings above. In 1854, the South Side Depot replaced the buildings on the northern periphery, and most of the remaining buildings were removed in the third quarter of the twentieth century. In 1977, the McIlwaine House was saved from destruction by being moved to the eastern periphery of the square, and has housed Petersburg’s Visitor Center since 1986. The Petersburg Area Art League has occupied the buildings on Rock Street since the early 1980s.
Erected by City of Petersburg and the Cameron Foundation.
Location. 37° 13.991′ N, 77° 24.265′ W. Marker is in Petersburg, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of East Old Street and Rock Street, on the right when traveling east on East Old Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 9 E Old St, Petersburg VA 23803, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Petersburg’s Old Towne (here, next to this marker); Touring Old Towne (here, next to this marker); Petersburg’s Natural Parks (here, next to this marker); Petersburg National Battlefield (here, next to this marker); City Sights (here, next to this marker); Pamplin Historical Park (here, next to this marker); Petersburg Region (here, next to this marker); Architectural Heritage (here, next to this marker). Click for a list of all markers in Petersburg.
More about this marker. The marker contains several photographs with the captions:
Above: an aerial photograph of Market Square taken before the tornado in 1993. Below: the same area on the F.W. Beers “Topographical Map of Petersburg,” published in 1877.
Above: an old postcard of the Farmers Market. Right: an elevation of the Farmers Market drawn by architects working for the Historic American Buildings Survey in 1968.
Below: insurance survey of Market Square from 1885, with arrows showing the point of view of the old photos.
An old view of Market Square. The buildings on the right side of the photo have been replaced by the parking lot where this exhibit is located.
Old photograph of the Farmers Market from the back.
Also see . . . Petersburg Visitors Center. (Submitted on July 9, 2012, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 513 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.