Inscription. This building, dedicated in 1988 by William and Dara Laughlin, replaced a long-standing McLean landmark. In 1906, Matthew J. Laughlin, owner of a nearby dairy farm, purchased this lot. He built a residence/store here, which became a focal point of the community. Its location was across from the Great Falls and Old Dominion Railroad stop at Chain Bridge Road, known as McLean by 1910. Subsequent Laughlin generations conducted their real estate businesses here, eventually becoming Laughlin Realtors. Painted blue in the 1960s, the landmark "Blue House" was razed in 1987 and replaced by this award-winning financial office center.
July 14, 2012
|1. The Laughlin Building Marker|
Erected 2011 by The Fairfax County History Commission.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Virginia, Fairfax County History Commission marker series.
Location. 38° 56.042′ N, 77° 10.672′ W. Marker is in McLean, Virginia, in Fairfax County. Marker is at the intersection of Old Dominion Drive (Virginia Route 309) and Chain Bridge Road, on the right when traveling east on Old Dominion Drive. Click for map. Marker is in front of the PNC Bank building. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6805 Old Dominion Drive, Mc Lean VA 22101, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are
within 3 miles of this marker, as the crow flies. McLean (within shouting distance of this marker); Salona (approx. 0.4 miles away); Benvenue (approx. half a mile away); Battle of Lewinsville (approx. 0.7 miles away); William Whann Mackall (approx. 1.1 miles away); Langley Fork (approx. 1.5 miles away); Minor's Hill (approx. 2.5 miles away); Burling Defenders (approx. 2.5 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in McLean.
July 14, 2012
|2. The Laughlin Building Marker|
Credits. This page originally submitted on July 14, 2012. This page has been viewed 119 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 14, 2012. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |