“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Concord in Contra Costa County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)

Old Fire Hall

Old Fire Hall Marker image. Click for full size.
Concord Historical Society, circa July 2012
1. Old Fire Hall Marker
Concord Historical
Built in 1892
Concord's First Firehouse

Erected 2008 by Concord Historical Society.
Location. 37° 58.615′ N, 122° 2.197′ W. Marker is in Concord, California, in Contra Costa County. Marker is at the intersection of Concord Avenue and Salvio Street, on the left when traveling south on Concord Avenue. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1982 Concord Avenue, Concord CA 94520, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Perry House (a few steps from this marker); Dedicated to the Founders of Todos Santos (approx. 0.2 miles away); Bibber House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Neustaedter House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Alves House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Francisco Galindo Home (approx. mile away); Bolla House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Barnett House (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Concord.
Regarding Old Fire Hall. One of the most historic buildings in Concord is the Old Fire House. The structure was originally located on a lot on the west side of Mt. Diablo Street near Willow Pass Road. Actions to build the facility there for the Volunteer Hook and Ladder
Old Fire Hall image. Click for full size.
Concord Historical Society, circa July 2012
2. Old Fire Hall
Company No.1 began in 1880 with the purchase of a lot costing $50. J.W. Guy was paid $570 to build the first Fire House, which eventually opened in 1892 after constant rounds of fund raisers. Built in the Italianate architectural style popular then, its cast-iron bell on top summoned firemen and signaled a curfew. In 1911 to accommodate pending construction of the Concord Inn, the structure was relocated around the corner to the south side of Willow Pass Road, between Mt. Diablo and Galindo Streets.

In 1939 it was converted for City Hall and Police Department uses. Subsequently, it housed, in turn, the
Chamber of Commerce, an art studio, and the Salvation Army. In 1989, it was moved to its present location, where it has been restored and is used for commercial purposes.
Categories. Notable Buildings
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Concord Historical Society of Concord, California. This page has been viewed 306 times since then and 46 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Concord Historical Society of Concord, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement