Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Columbus in Muscogee County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Friendship Baptist Church

 
 
Friendship Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, June 20, 2012
1. Friendship Baptist Church Marker
Inscription. Founded in 1892 at 4th Avenue and 6th Street, the church moved to its permanent home here in January of 1897. The first minister was Rev. J. S. Kelsey, who served the church from 1897-1901. The present building was completed under his leadership. It was enlarged and improved during the long ministry of Rev. R. K. Paschel, 1901-1944. A dream of Rev. Paschel was realized in 1950 with the completion of the educational annex named in his honor. Four other pastors served during the church’s first century: A. W. Fortson, 1944-1968; W. H. Smith, 1968-1974; James H. Carter, 1974-1978; and Emmett S. Aniton, Jr., 1979-present. “In this church on the corner, everybody is somebody.”
 
Erected 1992 by Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Friendship Baptist Church.
 
Location. 32° 27.742′ N, 84° 59.101′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Georgia, in Muscogee County. Marker is on 6th Avenue 0 miles south of 9th Street, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 831 6th Avenue, Columbus GA 31901, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Ninth Street Branch YMCA (within shouting distance of this marker); First African Baptist Church
Friendship Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, June 20, 2012
2. Friendship Baptist Church Marker
Looking south on 6th Avenue
(about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); “Ma" Rainey Home (about 600 feet away); “Columbus Stockade Blues” (approx. 0.2 miles away); Holsey Chapel Christian Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Spencer House (approx. 0.2 miles away); St. James AME Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Temple Israel (approx. ¼ mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Columbus.
 
Also see . . .  Friendship Baptist Church website. (Submitted on July 26, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.)
 
Categories. African AmericansChurches, Etc.
 
Friendship Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, June 20, 2012
3. Friendship Baptist Church Marker
Looking north on 6th Avenue toward the Police parking garage, former site of the Ninth Street Branch YMCA.
Friendship Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, June 20, 2012
4. Friendship Baptist Church Marker
Looking northeast across 6th Avenue, under reconstruction. The new Columbus jail is the tall building on the right; just to its left is the old Columbus Stockade, subject of the song "Columbus Stockade Blues."
Friendship Baptist Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, June 20, 2012
5. Friendship Baptist Church and Marker
Friendship Baptist Church image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, June 20, 2012
6. Friendship Baptist Church
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 237 times since then and 10 times this year. Last updated on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement