“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Langtry in Val Verde County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)


Langtry Marker image. Click for full size.
By Julie Szabo, February 7, 2008
1. Langtry Marker
Inscription. Langtry was created in 1882, when the Galveston, Harrisburg & San Antonio Railroad, later known as Southern Pacific, signed a deed with the Torres family, who owned the land. The town, which provided water for locomotives, developed from a tent town to a bustling settlement after the rail line was completed.

The town was most likely named for George Langtry, who led an area rail building crew. Lore, though, links the town's most famous inhabitant to its naming; Roy Bean, who owned a local saloon and served as Justice of the Peace, became known as "The Law West of the Pecos." He was enamored of Lillie Langtry, a popular British actress, and although she was probably not the town's namesake, she did visit here in the early 20th Century.

In addition to the infamous Bean, other local men and women contributed to the town's western ambience. J. P. Torres, part of the town's founding family, also served as Justice of the Peace and operated a store and saloon. He, like many of the area residents, also raised livestock, most often sheep or goats. Accessibility to the trains attracted many ranchers, who supported local businesses.

Langtry supported other industries, including a rock crushing plant created for the railroad. The town also attracted tuberculosis patients who came in hopes of regaining their health. During
"Hangin' Tree" and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Julie Szabo, February 7, 2008
2. "Hangin' Tree" and Marker
the Mexican Revolution, soldiers came to Langtry for goods, guns and munitions. The rail line was rerouted in the 1920s, and Langtry's population declined, today existing primarily as a tourist site. The landscape and remaining buildings still speak to what once was a bustling west Texas town.
Erected 2003 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13174.)
Location. 29° 48.519′ N, 101° 33.577′ W. Marker is in Langtry, Texas, in Val Verde County. Marker is on Torres Avenue, in the median. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Langtry TX 78871, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. William H. Dodd (a few steps from this marker); The Torres Family (within shouting distance of this marker); Jersey Lily Saloon - - 1882 - 1903 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Law West of the Pecos (about 300 feet away); Fitzsimmons-Maher Prizefight (approx. 0.3 miles away); Robert Thomas Hill (approx. 0.4 miles away); Eagle’s Nest (approx. 0.4 miles away); Railroad Bridges Over the Pecos (approx. 10.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Langtry.
Regarding Langtry. There is a Judge Roy Bean Visitor Center with lots
Post Office image. Click for full size.
By Julie Szabo, February 7, 2008
3. Post Office
of information.
Additional keywords. Rio Grande
Categories. Notable PersonsRailroads & StreetcarsSettlements & Settlers
Visitor's Center image. Click for full size.
By Julie Szabo, February 7, 2008
4. Visitor's Center
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Julie Szabo of Oldsmar, Florida. This page has been viewed 1,016 times since then and 67 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Julie Szabo of Oldsmar, Florida. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on October 17, 2016.
Paid Advertisement