Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fort Smith in Sebastian County, Arkansas — The American South (West South Central)
 

W.J. Murphy - Eads Brothers Building in 1903

 
 
W.J. Murphy - Eads Brothers Building in 1903 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Denise Boose, July 13, 2012
1. W.J. Murphy - Eads Brothers Building in 1903 Marker
Inscription. The first mention of this property is from 1838 when it was part of the brickyard that manufactured bricks to build the second Fort Smith. In 1877 the City Hotel was built here. In 1897, identical buildings were constructed to house the W.J. Murphy Harness and Saddlery Company at 410-12 Garrison. In 1901, Charles and Louis Eads established Eads Brothers Furniture Company in the former Rodgers-Wade building. In 1923, Eads Brothers purchased the Murphy building, removing the walls and combining the buildings. After 95 years in the same location, Eads Brothers relocated not long before the April 21, 1996 tornado hit downtown Fort Smith and Van Buren. The Eads Brothers building survived with minor damage but three days later on April 24, the building exploded into flames soon after the utilities services were reconnected. Three other adjacent businesses were destroyed in the ensuing fire.
 
Location. 35° 23.294′ N, 94° 25.622′ W. Marker is in Fort Smith, Arkansas, in Sebastian County. Marker is on Garrison Avenue (U.S. 64), on the left when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 405 Garrison Avenue, Fort Smith AR 72901, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Fishback Block in 1872 (within shouting distance
W.J. Murphy - Eads Brothers Building in 1903 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Denise Boose, July 13, 2012
2. W.J. Murphy - Eads Brothers Building in 1903 Marker
of this marker); Vogel & Wallace (within shouting distance of this marker); 1908 Reunion of U.S. Marshals (within shouting distance of this marker); Marble Hall in 1863 (within shouting distance of this marker); Reynolds - Davis Wholesale Grocery Company (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Phoenix Block (about 500 feet away); Confederate [and] Union Occupation of Fort Smith (about 500 feet away); Welcome to Fort Smith (about 600 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Fort Smith.
 
Categories. Notable BuildingsNotable Events
 
W.J. Murphy - Eads Brothers Building in 1903 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Denise Boose, July 13, 2012
3. W.J. Murphy - Eads Brothers Building in 1903 Marker
W.J. Murphy - Eads Brothers Building in 1903 image. Click for full size.
By Denise Boose, July 13, 2012
4. W.J. Murphy - Eads Brothers Building in 1903
Photograph located in the Fort Smith Museum of History Look for the W. J. M initials at the top of the building, sixth from the right to left.
W.J. Murphy - Eads Brothers Building in 1903 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Denise Boose, July 13, 2012
5. W.J. Murphy - Eads Brothers Building in 1903 Marker
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. This page has been viewed 381 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement