Knox in Albany County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Erected 1959 by New York State Education Department.
Location. 42° 39.649′ N, 74° 7.969′ W. Marker is in Knox, New York, in Albany County. Marker is at the intersection of Berne-Altamont Road (New York State Route 156) and Farm Lane, on the right when traveling south on Berne-Altamont Road. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Knox NY 12107, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Palatine Trail (approx. half a mile away); Pillbox Factory (approx. 0.8 miles away); Knoxville Academy (approx. 0.8 miles away); Town of Knox (approx. 0.9 miles away); Dutch Barn (approx. 1.9 miles away); Knieskem Farm (approx. 2.1 miles away); Cheese Factory (approx. 2.1 miles away); Ax Factory (approx. 2.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Knox.
More about this marker. Christian Zandt of Trier, Germany had emigrated to Schoharie in 1766. The farm in Knox was granted to Zandt in 1787 by the Patroon Stephen Van Rensselaer. It was Zandt's son, Jacob, who changed the family name to Sand. Peter Sand built the brick house
Dr. and Mrs. John Sand had the State Education Department install the original historic marker in 1936. In 1959, Lester H. Hearn (Grassland Dairy Farm, Knox, NY) reported to the State Historian that the marker was missing. Because the state had no funds for historic markers, Mr. Hearn paid for the replacement - about $35. In 1989 the farm was recognized by the National Bicentennial Farm program of the U.S. Department of Agriculture as having been in the same family since the birth of the U.S. Constitution.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. This page has been viewed 379 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. 4. submitted on , by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.