Near Kyburz in El Dorado County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Erected 1960 by California State Park Commission in cooperation with the James W. Marshall Chapter No. 49, E Clampus Vitus, and the Central Overland Pony Express Trail Association, April 30, 1960. (Marker Number 705.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the California Historical Landmarks, the E Clampus Vitus, and the Pony Express National Historic Trail marker series.
Location. 38° 46.271′ N, 120° 26.948′ W. Marker is near Kyburz, California, in El Dorado County. Marker is on U.S. 50 near Ice House Road, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is located at Milepost 39.7, nine miles west of Kyburz. Marker is in this post office area: Kyburz CA 95720, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Riverton Bridge (here, next to this marker); In Memory of the Bravery of Our Pioneer Officers (approx. 5.5 miles away); Bullion Bend Robbery (approx. 7 miles away); The Pony Express The Mormon Emigrant Trail (approx. 7 miles away); The California Gold Rush (approx. 7 miles away); Logging in El Dorado County (approx. 7 miles away); Webster’s (approx. 7.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Kyburz.
Regarding Moore’s (Riverton). This site has been designated as California Registered Historical Landmark No. 705
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Follow the first Eastbound journey of the Pony Express through California to Genoa, Nevada....To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
Also see . . . The Highway 50 Corridor: America’s Gateway to the West. This pamphlet published by the USDA, April 2008, states that in spite of the marker placed here, the Pony Express did not have a remount station here. (Submitted on December 6, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.)
1. From California's Geographic Names by David L. Durham
The first station was on a toll road run and built by John M. Moore and a Post Office was established here in 1893 - discontinued in 1898.
— Submitted December 6, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Notable Places • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 1,425 times since then and 24 times this year. Last updated on , by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. 3. submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.