Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Hancock in Washington County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

National Pike Toll House

Circa 1822

 
 
National Pike Toll House Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, August 26, 2006
1. National Pike Toll House Marker
Inscription. The significance of this structure lies both in its history and architecture. It is one of the few remaining “toll houses” along the old National Road. The National Road was chartered between Hancock and Cumberland in 1819 and completed in 1822, following an 18th century trail. A deed dated March 29, 1820, from Thomas C. Brent to the President, Managers and Company of the Cumberland Turnpike, records the purchase of ½ acre of land for $50.00 and refers to a “brick toll house lately erected within the boundaries above described.” The ½ acre of land came from a tract called “Brent’s Chance” which contained 406 acres originally surveyed to Thomas Brent on March 31, 1793. The deed evidence indicates that the toll house was built around the same time as the turnpike and therefore was used to collect tolls since the opening of the National Pike. When the State acquired title to this road, which was popularly known as the “Bank Road,” the description states “a strip of land 60 feet wide from he west bank of the Concheague to Cumberland.” The property was sold to John and Iva Shives.

The property was purchased by Charles Locher in 1946. Ownership changed hands several times after that with William and Dottie Dugan as the last owners of record. In the year 2000 the
Old Bank Road Toll House and Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, August 26, 2006
2. Old Bank Road Toll House and Marker
Dugan’s donated the property to the Town of Hancock under the conditions that the property would remain a Historical structure. Mr. Stanley Fulton (former resident and businessman from Hancock) and the France/Merrick Foundation of Rockville, Md., provided the necessary funds. The Town of Hancock administered the funds and worked with the Hancock Historical Society during the rehabilitation of the property. Although property is owned by the Town of Hancock, the Hancock Historical Society will maintain the property and control all activities at the site.

Many residents of the Hancock area recall the “toll house” in operation earlier during the past century.

Architecturally the “toll house” provides a documented example of an early 19th century structure which has a combined use as a service building and a residence. Unlike present-day turnpike booths, this structure was equipped to be a permanent dwelling for the toll keeper. Thus its appearance, while functional, also reflects its intended use as a place of residence.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the The Historic National Road marker series.
 
Location. 39° 41.921′ N, 78° 12.151′ W. Marker is near Hancock, Maryland, in Washington County. Marker is at the intersection of Western
Old Bank Road Toll Rates image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, August 25, 2006
3. Old Bank Road Toll Rates
Pike (Maryland Route 144) and Locker Road, on the left when traveling east on Western Pike. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hancock MD 21750, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Tonoloway Fort (within shouting distance of this marker); “Old Mr. Flint’s” Home (approx. 0.2 miles away); Siding and Packing House Site (approx. 0.7 miles away); Fort Coombe (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Tonoloways (approx. 0.9 miles away); Hancock's Orchard Industry (approx. one mile away); "Stonewall" Jackson Hill (approx. one mile away in West Virginia); Hancock (approx. 1.1 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Hancock.
 
Also see . . .  Maryland's Bank Road. (Submitted on September 1, 2006.)
 
Additional keywords. tollhouse
 
Categories. Roads & VehiclesSettlements & Settlers
 
Old Bank Road Toll House image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, August 26, 2006
4. Old Bank Road Toll House
Plaques on the side of the toll house image. Click for full size.
By Christopher Busta-Peck
5. Plaques on the side of the toll house
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,024 times since then and 5 times this year. Last updated on , by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.   5. submitted on , by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement