Inscription. Here the natural water power potential of Old Buttermilk Falls determined not only the village site, but in 1803, the erection of Stoddard and Platt's Pioneer Grist Mill. In 1822 Herman Le Roy, for whom the town was named, replaced this with a much larger mill whose famed Genesee Flour won a coveted medal at the London Crystal Palace Exhibition in 1851.
By Yugoboy, July 26, 2012
|1. Henry Le Roy's Mill Marker|
The low earthen dike forming Herman Le Roy's mill pond established the location of the Great Niagara Road, the village business district and the four successive Main Street bridges - 1802 of wood, 1823 of stone, 1855 of iron and 1908 of concrete.
Erected 1967 by Sponsored by the Le Roy Historical Society. Donated by the Le Roy Rotary Club.
Location. 42° 58.665′ N, 77° 59.34′ W. Marker is in LeRoy, New York, in Genesee County. Marker is on Main Street (New York Route 5) 0 miles east of Mill Street, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Le Roy NY 14482, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, as the crow flies. Ingham University Campus (about 500 feet away, in a direct line); Ingham University (about 600 feet away); Town of LeRoy (about 700 feet away); Le Roy House (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Jell-O Company (approx. half a mile away); First Jell-O Factory (approx. 0.6 miles away); Ganson Tavern (approx. 0.9 miles away); Underground Railroad Route (approx. 2.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in LeRoy.