Omaha in Douglas County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Quartermaster's Oﬃce and Commissary
Fort Omaha Walking Tour
Throughout the frontier era, the Quartermaster’s Department oversaw post construction, supply procurement and transportation. It worked closely with the Subsistence Department which purchased and assigned rations. To both agencies, Fort Omaha represented the best distribution site for the Department of the Platte because the nearby city of Omaha provided ample food, livestock and building materials to isolated western posts via three railroad lines.
In 1866 the War Department ordered construction of the Omaha Quartermaster Depot (Government Corral) along the Union Pacific at 13th and Webster Streets, including stables, wagon yard, storehouses and loading platform. The depot was abandoned in 1879 when operations were transferred to new warehouses at Fort Omaha.
Pressured by angry local businessmen who wanted the lucrative business closer to downtown, the War Department authorized a new depot between 22nd Street and Woolworth Avenue adjacent to the Union Pacific tracks.
The old Quartermaster’s office and Commissary now serve as classroom buildings for Metropolitan Community College.
Erected by Metropolitan Community College, Historical Society of Douglas County, and Nebraska Committee for the Humanities. (Marker Number 7.)
Location. Click for map. Marker is north of Building 5, on the Metropolitan Community College Campus. Marker is in this post office area: Omaha NE 68111, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort Omaha Guardhouse (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fort Omaha Knights of Columbus Assembly Hall (about 300 feet away); History of Fort Omaha (about 300 feet away); Observation Balloon Training at Fort Omaha (about 300 feet away); Fort Omaha Balloon School (about 500 feet away); General Crook's Headquarters at Fort Omaha (about 500 feet away); Fort Omaha Post Exchange and Gymnasium (about 600 feet away); Fort Omaha Fire Station (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Omaha.
Also see . . .
1. Historic Fort Omaha. (Submitted on August 7, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Fort Omaha. (Submitted on August 7, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
3. Metropolitan Community College. (Submitted on August 7, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features • War, World I •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 306 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.