Hinesville in Liberty County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Hinesville Institute was closed during the War Between the States, but was reorganized and reopened in 1871 by Captain Samuel Dowse Bradwell, C.S.A., son of James Sharpe Bradwell. The name Bradwell Institute was given the reorganized school honoring Colonel Bradwell, the first headmaster of the Hinesville Institute.
Bradwell Institute was at first a boarding school and college preparatory, offering courses in Latin, Greek, chemistry, and “other useful and practical sciences.” At the turn of the twentieth century the school became a part of the public school system and was for many years the only high school in this section of Georgia, drawing students from surrounding counties.
Erected 1998 by Liberty County Historical Society.
Location. 31° 51′ N, 81° 36.233′ W. Marker is in Hinesville, Georgia, in Liberty County. Marker is at the intersection of Pafford street Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 Pafford Street, Hinesville GA 31313, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Charlton Hines House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Hinesville Methodist Church (approx. half a mile away); Fort Morris Cannon (approx. half a mile away); Bradwell Park (approx. half a mile away); Liberty County (approx. half a mile away); Liberty County Confederate Monument (approx. half a mile away); Old Liberty County Jail (approx. half a mile away); The Bacon-Fraser House (approx. 0.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Hinesville.
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 643 times since then and 131 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.