“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Minnehaha Springs in Pocahontas County, West Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)

Camp Northwest

Jackson’s Huntersville Line

Camp Northwest CWT Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, August 7, 2012
1. Camp Northwest CWT Marker
Inscription. Huntersville (three miles northwest of here) in January 1862. Camp Northwest became Confederate Col. William L. Jackson’s headquarters and a supply depot for the outposts under Jackson’s command. Called the Huntersville line, it stretched from the northern end of Pocahontas County to the southern end. On August 23, 1863 Union Gen. William W. Averell’s forces captured and burned Camp Northwest prior to his march toward Lewisburg and his defeat at the Battle of Dry Creek at White Sulphur Springs. In his official report, Averell wrote. “Camp Northwest was burned and destroyed, with commissary buildings and stores, blacksmith shops, several wagons, a number of Enfield rifles, gun equipments, and a quantity of wheat and flour at a mill near by. A large number of canteens, stretchers, and hospital supplies fell into our hands.” Jackson soon reoccupied the area, where he remained until ordered to the Shenandoah Valley in 1864.

Early in June 1865, one of the last encounters between armed Federal and Confederate forces occurred a short distance southeast of here. A Federal cavalry detachment had ridden into Pocahontas County from Clarksburg to reclaim any Federal property they might find, to make sure there were no Confederate forces still active, and to parole all who laid down their arms. The Federal
Wv-92 & Wv-39 (facing east) image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, August 7, 2012
2. Wv-92 & Wv-39 (facing east)
cavalry ran headlong into several Confederate cavalrymen, formerly of Col. William L. Jackson’s command, who had learned of Gen. Robert E. Lee’s surrender of the Army of Northern Virginia and all other forces under his command. After a brief clash, the Confederates abandoned their horses and escaped by fleeing up the hillsides and through the dense woods.
Erected by West Virginia Civil War Trails.
Marker series. This marker is included in the West Virginia Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 38° 9.909′ N, 79° 58.959′ W. Marker is in Minnehaha Springs, West Virginia, in Pocahontas County. Marker is at the intersection of West Virginia Route 92 and West Virginia Route 39, in the median on State Route 92. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Marlinton WV 24954, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Tuscarora (Clinton) Sand (approx. 1.7 miles away); Huntersville (approx. 2.5 miles away); Huntersville Jail / Presbyterian Church (approx. 2.6 miles away); Rider Gap (approx. 3.6 miles away); West Virginia / Virginia (approx. 3.6 miles away); Mountain Grove (approx. 6.8 miles away in Virginia); Marlinton: Heritage (approx. 7.2 miles away); Marlinton (approx. 7.5 miles away).
More about this marker. On the left is a sketch of "Union cavalry burning a mill" - Courtesy Library of Congress

On the upper right are portraits of "Gen. William W. Averell" Courtesy Library of Congress and "Gen. William L. Jackson" Courtesy West Virginia University Library

On the lower right is a sketch of "Union cavalry on the march" - Courtesy Library of Congress
Categories. War, US Civil
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 293 times since then and 67 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement