Terre Haute in Vigo County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
1812 - - Fort Harrison - - 1912
September 4, 1812
The Fort was built by William Henry Harrison and at the time of the attack was commanded by Zachary Taylor, both of whom afterwards became Presidents of the United States.
Location. 39° 30.52′ N, 87° 24.727′ W. Marker is in Terre Haute, Indiana, in Vigo County. Marker can be reached from McCullough Avenue (becomes 4th Street) north of Fort Harrison Road. Click for map. Located in the "Elks Fort Harrison Country Club" which is on the North side of Terre Haute. Taking U.S. 41 North - turn left (West) on Fort Harrison Road. At McCullough Avenue turn North (right) follow back into the "Elks Fort Harrison Country Club". The marker is on the left and at the far end of the parking lot. Marker is in this post office area: Terre Haute IN 47804, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Unknown Embattled Defenders of Fort Harrison (within shouting distance of this marker); Burial Ground Fort William Harrison (about 300 Fort William Henry Harrison (approx. 0.3 miles away); Charles Gene Abrell (approx. 0.8 miles away); Gold Medal Plaza (approx. 1.4 miles away); Twelve Points (approx. 1.4 miles away); Union Hospital (approx. 1.7 miles away); Confederate Soldiers Buried in this Cemetery (approx. 1.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Terre Haute.
Categories. • Wars, US Indian •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 480 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.