Newport in Cocke County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
About 2 miles northeast, south of the mouth of Cosby’s Creek, William Whitson, Jr., established a fort on the east bank of Pigeon River in 1783. It was an important frontier outpost, since there was a ford there, and the west bank of the river was then Indian territory.
Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1C 19.)
Location. 35° 52.299′ N, 83° 13.394′ W. Marker is in Newport, Tennessee, in Cocke County. Marker is at the intersection of Wilton Springs Road (U.S. 321) and Cosby Hwy., on the left when traveling south on Wilton Springs Road. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 103 Wilton Springs Road, Newport TN 37821, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Governor Ben Walter Hooper (approx. 5.3 miles away); Jefferson County / Cocke County (approx. 6.8 miles away); Kiffin Yates Rockwell (approx. 6.9 miles away); The War Ford (approx. 7.1 miles away); "Old Dutch Settlement" (approx. 8.9 miles away); Francis Asbury Trail (approx. 10.1 miles away in North Carolina); Stokely-Van Camp, Inc. (approx. 11.5 miles away); Pine Chapel (approx. 11.5 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Newport.
Categories. • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 565 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.