Judiciary Square in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
On This Corner ...
You would be surrounded by rowhouses, apartment buildings, small businesses, and streetcars rattling down G Street toward Union Station. The homes were occupied by a rich mix of families - Jewish, Irish, Chinese, Italian, Russian, Greek, African American, and German. Holy Rosary Church, completed by Italian immigrants in 1923, stood a half-block south at Third and F Streets.
The suburbanization, freeway and federal office construction, and the 1968 riots led to the relocation of many residents.
By 1969, this triangular lot was vacant. That year the Jewish Historical Society saved the city's oldest synagogue by moving it here from Sixth and G Streets. It now stands before you as the Lillian and Albert Small Jewish Museum.
Italian barber Pat Lignelli (left), Jewish tailor Simon Berman (center), and Chinese launderer Mr. Lee owned small shops along G Street in the 1930s. Other neighboring businesses included Sam Fabrizio's shoe repair store, Ramblin's grocery store, and Loesberg's Italian Store.
Sirota's Drug Store
This 1943 photo shows Irving Sirota (center), an Eastern European Jewish immigrant, in front of the drug store he operated on this corner from 1921 to 1957.
Berman's Tailor Shop
Gladys Berman stands in front of her father's tailor shop at 309 G Street. From 1910 to the 1940s, the shop pressed suits and cleaned and mended clothes. The family lived above the shop's original location at 313 G Street before moving to a house around the corner at 723 Third Street.
Selma Levine Musher Goldberg holds George Berman (left) and other Berman children pose in front of their home (right). The block wasn't purely residential, though. Across Third Street sat Shrier's family-owned grocery, and up the block was a Sanitary grocery store - part of a local chain later purchased by Safeway.
The Harrison Apartments
The Harrison apartment building opened in 1888 and, after serving as headquarters for the 1890 census, welcomed residents into its 79 apartments. The ground floor housed a restaurant, bar, barber shop, and pharmacy. The city's oldest example of rowhouse-style apartments, the Harrison was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1994.
This panel was made possible by the generosity of: Carol Loesberg Brody, Helene Sirota Edwards, Joan Sirota Gurevich, Alice Berman Levin,
Location. 38° 53.91′ N, 77° 0.9′ W. Marker is in Judiciary Square, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker is at the intersection of 3rd Street NW and G Street NW, on the left when traveling south on 3rd Street NW. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Washington DC 20001, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Original Adas Israel Synagogue (here, next to this marker); Lillian and Albert Small Jewish Museum (a few steps from this marker); Cristoforo Colombo (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Victims of Communism Memorial, (approx. 0.2 miles away); Discover DC / Judiciary Square (approx. 0.2 miles away); National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); The National Building Museum (approx. 0.2 miles away); U.S. Reservation 196 (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Judiciary Square.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 243 times since then and 49 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.