Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fort Smith in Sebastian County, Arkansas — The American South (West South Central)
 

The Commissary Storehouse

 
 
The Commissary Storehouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Denise Boose, July 13, 2012
1. The Commissary Storehouse Marker
Inscription. This is the oldest building still standing in Fort Smith. Originally built as part of a larger fortification, over the years its appearance and use changed dramatically. The building held supplies used by explorers and soldiers, played a crucial role in two wars, and served as an office for Federal Judge Isaac C. Parker.

Today the commissary is furnished with reproductions of supplies that the U.S. Army stored here in the 1850s. A number of posts located farther west benefited from these rations. As part of Fort Smith National Historic Site, the commissary building helps tell one dimension of Fort Smith’s rich and varied history
 
Erected by Fort Smith National Historic Site National Park Services, U.S. Department of the Interior.
 
Location. 35° 23.257′ N, 94° 25.745′ W. Marker is in Fort Smith, Arkansas, in Sebastian County. Marker is on Parker Avenue, on the left when traveling north. Click for map. With the Fort Smith National Historic Site National Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 301 Parker Avenue, Fort Smith AR 72901, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Confederate [and] Union Occupation of Fort Smith (within shouting distance of this marker); Welcome to Fort Smith
The Commissary Storehouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Denise Boose, July 13, 2012
2. The Commissary Storehouse Marker
Brigadier General Thomas Jesup, Quartermaster General, 1816-1860. Referred to as "the father of the modern Quartermaster corps," Jesup's decision to change Fort Smith from a defensive position to a supply depot had a significant effect on the development of the region.
(within shouting distance of this marker); Barracks, Courthouse, Jail (within shouting distance of this marker); Clues from the Past (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Gallows (about 300 feet away); Executions at Fort Smith (about 300 feet away); Confederates Occupy The Fort (about 400 feet away); Meeting of Nations (about 400 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Fort Smith.
 
Categories. Military
 
Inside the Commissary Storehouse Museum image. Click for full size.
By Denise Boose, July 13, 2012
3. Inside the Commissary Storehouse Museum
The Commissary Storehouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Denise Boose, July 13, 2012
4. The Commissary Storehouse Marker
The Commissary Storehouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Denise Boose, July 13, 2012
5. The Commissary Storehouse Marker
“Fort Smith is the head of steamboat navigation on the Arkansas river and an important point for a depot for supplies for a force operating on that frontier as well as for the posts in advance on the Red river, and Fort Gibson.” –Quartermaster General Thomas Jesup, 1845.
Network of forts supplied by Fort Smith. image. Click for full size.
By Denise Boose, July 13, 2012
6. Network of forts supplied by Fort Smith.
The Commissary Storehouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Denise Boose, July 13, 2012
7. The Commissary Storehouse Marker
Inside the Commissary Storehouse Museum image. Click for full size.
By Denise Boose, July 13, 2012
8. Inside the Commissary Storehouse Museum
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. This page has been viewed 365 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on , by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement