West Point in Orange County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
North and South Redoubts
In 1779, Major General Heath supervised construction of South (Middle) and North Redoubts (located across the river and east of the Town of Garrison). Both were designed to prevent British control of eastern approaches to West Point and Constitution Island. Washington was probably inspecting South Redoubt when Benedict Arnold, learning of Major Andre’s capture, fled from his headquarters at the Beverly Robinson House.
Location. 41° 23.388′ N, 73° 57.816′ W. Marker is in West Point, New York, in Orange County. Marker is on Delafield Road, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is located inside Fort Putnam on the grounds of the United States Military Academy. Marker is in this post office area: West Point NY 10996, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort Putnam (a few steps from this marker); Cannon (a few steps from this marker); Fort Arnold (a few steps from this marker); Forts Webb, Wyllys and Meigs (a few steps from this marker); Artillery Blind (a few steps from this marker); Casemates (within shouting distance of this marker); Sherburne’s Redoubt (within shouting distance of this marker); Artillery and Mortars (within shouting distance of this marker). Click for a list of all markers in West Point.
Categories. • Forts, Castles • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 270 times since then and 54 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.