“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Sacramento in Sacramento County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)

Lady Adams Building

Lady Adams Building Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, November 14, 2005
1. Lady Adams Building Marker
Inscription. Built in 1852 by the Lady Adams Mercantile Co.; named after the brig which brought the partners around the horn. She has survived fires, flood, and being lifted one story. She has served merchants, bankers, and as a “rooming house”. And has been flat busted more than once. The only survivor of the fire of 1852. She was named California Historical Landmark No. 603 on May 22, 1957 before we got around to it.
Erected 1976 by E Clampus Vitus, New Helvetia No. 5 (Aug. 7, 1976). (Marker Number 603.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
Location. 38° 34.942′ N, 121° 30.316′ W. Marker is in Sacramento, California, in Sacramento County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of K Street and Commonwealth Avenue. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 117 - 119 "K" Street, Sacramento CA 95814, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Freight on the Move (within shouting distance of this marker); Sacramento Engine Company No. 3 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Pony Express River Steamer “Antelope” (about
Lady Adams Building image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, November 14, 2005
2. Lady Adams Building
300 feet away); Booth Building (about 300 feet away); The Pony Express (about 400 feet away); B.F. Hastings Bank Building (about 400 feet away); Old Sacramento (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named The Pony Express (about 400 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Sacramento.
Regarding Lady Adams Building. The Lady Adams Building is a California Registered Historical Landmark (No. 603).

The first owners of the Lady Adams Building were two German merchants who came to California “around the horn” on a ship named The Lady Adams. After setting up their business in a tent, they had the building built using much of the ship’s parts as building material. The bricks used in the building had acted as the ships ballast and the mast was used as a “backing up” place for wagons and horses to back up to. Because of its brick roofing it survived the “great fire of 1852”. It also survived the floods that occurred almost annually until the streets were raised in the 1860’s and is considered to be Old Sacramento’s oldest building.

Lady Adams Building image. Click for more information.
By Glen Fishback, Photographer, circa July, 1965
3. Lady Adams Building
From the Historic American Buildings Survey - Library of Congress
Click for more information.
the 1950’s Old Sacramento went through its “skid row” days and the Lady Adams was a flop house and also a brothel. It eventually was unused and fell into total disrepair. In 1970 the brick roof collapsed and damaged the building.

This proud old building was restored and now serves as a retail business in the bustling rejuvenated Old Sacramento State Historical State Park.
Categories. Industry & CommerceLandmarksNotable BuildingsSettlements & Settlers
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 1,264 times since then and 81 times this year. Last updated on . Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.   3. submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement