Hermann in Gasconade County, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Incorporated in 1849 by the state legislature, the German School had classes conducted in both the German and English languages.
This structure was the only privately owned public school building in the state when it was deeded to Historic Hermann, Inc. in 1955, to be preserved and used for cultural and civic purposes.
Erected by Historic Hermann, Inc.
Location. 38° 42.265′ N, 91° 26.136′ W. Marker is in Hermann, Missouri, in Gasconade County. Marker is on Schiller Street near 4th Street, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 312 Schiller Street, Hermann MO 65041, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Drusch-Koeller Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Siedler's Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Poeschel House (about 400 feet away); The Peters House (about 400 feet away); The Weber-Schulte House (about 500 feet away); Schlender Building (about 500 feet away); The Robyn House (about 700 feet away); Hermann Honor Roll World War II (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Hermann.
Also see . . .
Historic Hermann, Inc. (Submitted on August 21, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
2. Hermann Historic District, Missouri (1972). (Submitted on August 23, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Education • Man-Made Features • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page has been viewed 212 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. 2. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. 3, 4. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.