“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Hedgesville in Berkeley County, West Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)

Camp Hopkins

Memorial to a Friend

Camp Hopkins Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, July 29, 2012
1. Camp Hopkins Marker
Inscription. In December 1862, Union Gen. Benjamin F. Kelley stationed detachments of the 54th Pennsylvania and 1st West Virginia Infantry regiments here to guard and repair the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, a main supply route between the Ohio River and the national capital region. On March 6, 1863, Col. Edward James and his 106th New York Volunteer Infantry and a section of Capt. Thomas A. Maulsby’s Battery F, West Virginia Light Artillery (US), marched from Martinsburg and relieved the units. They first occupied a temporary camp across the tracks while preparing a more permanent site here.

The New Yorkers moved here on April 2, and James named the site Camp Hopkins for his friend and schoolmate Lt. James W. Hopkins, who recently had died in Martinsburg. The camp consisted of conical Sibley tents arranged in company streets, with the companies positioned in line-of-battle order. The regiment guarded the railroad and patrolled the countryside to confiscate Confederate contraband. A cornfield and an apple orchard were located nearby, although the crops did no ripen soon enough to benefit the men, who broke camp on June 13, 1863. The 106th New York set off in pursuit of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee’s Army of Northern Virginia; the invasion of Pennsylvania that ended at Gettysburg was under way.

The campsite has survived remarkably
Camp Hopkins Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, July 29, 2012
2. Camp Hopkins Marker
intact since 1863, and holes where the tents stood are still visible. The Windle family generously donated the property to the Berkeley County Landmarks Commission in 2008.

"[Our camp is located on] a steep wooded hill on the brow of which the tents are laid out. ... Picture the tents on a firm smooth swail, intersperced plentifully with fine large trees and you have some idea of it." - Sgt. Maj. Charles W. Shepard, 106th N.Y. Volunteers, Apr. 8, 1863
Erected by West Virginia Civil War Trails.
Marker series. This marker is included in the West Virginia Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 39° 34.2′ N, 77° 58.956′ W. Marker is in Hedgesville, West Virginia, in Berkeley County. Marker is on Allenville Road. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 570 Allenville Road, Hedgesville WV 25427, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hedgesville (approx. 1.3 miles away); Hammond House (approx. 1.7 miles away); McCoy's Ferry (approx. 2.8 miles away in Maryland); Fort Frederick Officers’ Quarters (approx. 3 miles away in Maryland); Nathan Williams (approx. 3 miles away in Maryland); Fort Frederick (approx. 3 miles away in Maryland); “...a place of Arms...would be absolutely neccessary” (approx. 3.2 miles away in Maryland); "Old Fort Frederick" (approx. 3.2 miles away in Maryland).
Categories. War, US Civil
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 557 times since then and 129 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234.   2. submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement