Inscription. Romney experienced many troop movements and skirmishes during the course of the war because of its location on the vitally important North Western Turnpike The road linked Winchester, near the northern end of Virginia’s Shenandoah Valley, with Parkersburg on the Ohio River. The earliest engagement fought here occurred on June 13, 1861, when a Federal force under Col. Lewis Wallace stormed the covered bridge and briefly occupied the town. Romney allegedly changed hands about sixty times during the war, sometimes more than once within a twenty-four hour period.
By Don Morfe, July 31, 2012
|1. Romney In The Civil War Marker|
The proximity of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad in Cumberland, Maryland, and at New Creek Station (present-day Keyser, West Virginia) magnified Romney’s importance. The Chesapeake and Ohio Canal also ran near the northern border of Hampshire County across the Potomac River. In addition, the South Branch River Valley’s numerous farms made tempting targets as Union and Confederate forces sought to replenish supplies.
Many residents of Romney and Hampshire County sympathized with the Confederacy during the war because of the county’s strong agricultural ties to the Shenandoah Valley. There also were large farms in the area that utilized slave labor. Romney was caught in the middle: to the north lay Cumberland, a stronghold of Union sympathy, and to the east was
Winchester, one of the Confederacy’s northernmost cities. Each city was within a short march of Romney, making the town a target of many scouting actions, foraging expeditions, and positioning maneuvers on the part of both parties.
By Don Morfe, July 31, 2012
|2. Romney In The Civil War Marker|
Erected by West Virginia Civil War Trails.
Marker series. This marker is included in the West Virginia Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 39° 20.406′ N, 78° 45.144′ W. Marker is in Romney, West Virginia, in Hampshire County. Marker is on Main Street (U.S. 50). Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Romney WV 26757, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Grapeshot Among the Pines (within shouting distance of this marker); W. Va School for the Deaf and Blind (about 300 feet away, in a direct line); Jackson's Headquarters (about 400 feet away); Old Literary Hall (approx. ¼ mile away); Hampshire County World War I Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away); Romney / Early Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away); Hampshire County Courthouse (approx. ¼ mile away); Romney in 1861–1865 / “Stonewall” Jackson (approx. ¼ mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Romney.
Credits. This page originally submitted on August 22, 2012, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 72 times since then. Photos: 1. submitted on August 22, 2012, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. 2. submitted on September 10, 2012, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |