“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Petersburg in Grant County, West Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)

Maple Hill Cemetery

Brief Peace in the Midst of War

Maple Hill Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, July 31, 2012
1. Maple Hill Cemetery Marker
Inscription. The brick church formerly on this site was named Mount Zion Presbyterian Church. The congregation stopped meeting here after Federal forces occupied Petersburg in May 1862, took over the church building, and began using it as a commissary. The commanding general ordered that “this fence around the church and the graveyard and everything within this inclosure remain undisturbed…It is to be hoped that no soldier or citizen will be so far lost to every principle of civilization and feeling of humanity to wantonly and needlessly wound the feeling of the living or dishonor the ashes of the dead.”

When the Federals learned of an impending Confederate attack, however, they burned the church to prevent the capture of its stores. Later, other Union troops used bricks from the burned church in the floors of their tents and winter cabins west of here at Fort Mulligan.

A frame church was later constructed here. In 1878, the congregation moved to North Main Street, erected a brick church, and named it Petersburg Presbyterian Church on October 16, 1880. The Federal government reimbursed the congregation $2,000 in 1916 for burning the original building during the Civil War.

Numerous Confederate soldiers who served in the 18th Virginia Cavalry are buried here, as well as Lt. Isaac S. Wilton, one of McNeill’s
Maple Hill Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, July 31, 2012
2. Maple Hill Cemetery Marker
Rangers. He took part in the raid on Cumberland, Maryland, on February 21, 1865, when the unit captured Union Gens. George Crook and Benjamin F. Kelley at hotels there.

(Sidebar): Mount Zion Presbyterian Church was constructed about 1838 on a tract that Hanson Bryan donated. In this graveyard lies the remains of the Rev. William N. Scott, the pioneer Presbyterian minister in Grant County, who came here in May 1822 and organized the Presbyterian congregations at Old Fields, Moorefield, and Petersburg. He died on January 24, 1857. The graveyard is now known as Maple Hill Cemetery.
Erected by West Virginia Civil War Trails.
Marker series. This marker is included in the West Virginia Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 38° 59.94′ N, 79° 7.47′ W. Marker is in Petersburg, West Virginia, in Grant County. Marker is on North Main Street. Click for map. Located in Maple Hill Cemetery. Marker is at or near this postal address: 301 North Main Street, Petersburg WV 26847, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort Mulligan (approx. half a mile away); Petersburg (approx. half a mile away); A Strategic Location (approx. 0.8 miles away); Civil War Cannons (approx. 0.8 miles away); The Irish Brigade & the McNeill Rangers / The Civil War Comes to Hardy County (approx. 0.8 miles away); Welcome to Fort Mulligan Civil War Site (approx. 0.8 miles away); The Last Days of Fort Mulligan (approx. 0.8 miles away); Protecting Supplies (approx. 0.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Petersburg.
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches, Etc.War, US Civil
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 432 times since then and 86 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement