Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Toccoa in Stephens County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The Old Toccoa Falls Power Plant

 
 
The Old Toccoa Falls Power Plant Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 22, 2012
1. The Old Toccoa Falls Power Plant Marker
Inscription. The Old Toccoa Falls Power Plant is an outstanding example of the early hydroelectric generating facilities that served America’s rural communities. Built in 1899 by E. Palmer Simpson of Toccoa, the plant was franchised in that year by the Toccoa City Council to supply the city and area with electricity. A log dam to provide headwater for the penstock at the rear of the building formed a small lake on the mountain above the plant. The bricks were handmade -- swirls of the paddle can be clearly seen -- and then brought to the site in wagon loads that took two days each round trip. Water from the penstock spun the 200 kilowatt (266 horsepower) generator, and the electricity was distributed through the old switchboard. The plant was acquired by the Georgia Power Company in 1927; then in 1933 it was given to the Toccoa Falls Institute, which used the power exclusively to furnish all its electrical needs until 1957. At that time, the school returned to Company lines and the plant fell into disrepair. In 1972, the Georgia Power Company and the Institute cooperated in renovating the old plant in order that it can be maintained as a historical site.

Acknowledgment is given to the vision and progressive contributions of Mr. P. S. Arkwright, founder and president of the Georgia Power Company, and to Dr. R. A. Forrest, founder of the
The Old Toccoa Falls Power Plant Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 22, 2012
2. The Old Toccoa Falls Power Plant Marker
Toccoa Falls Institute.
 
Location. 34° 35.633′ N, 83° 21.717′ W. Marker is near Toccoa, Georgia, in Stephens County. Marker is on Forrest Drive one mile west of Toccoa Falls Road (Georgia Route 17), on the right when traveling west. Click for map. The marker stands on the campus of Toccoa Falls College (formerly Toccoa Falls Institute). It is at the edge of the parking lot past the Toccoa Falls Visitors Center, at the end of Forrest Drive. Marker is in this post office area: Toccoa Falls GA 30598, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Haddock Inn (within shouting distance of this marker); Bandy Cottage Alumni House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Gate Cottage (about 300 feet away); Colonel William Wofford (about 600 feet away); In Loving Remembrance (about 800 feet away); Kelly Dam Disaster (about 800 feet away); Staley Cottage (about 800 feet away); Morrison Hall - Old Barn (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Toccoa.
 
Categories. Industry & Commerce
 
The Old Toccoa Falls Power Plant and Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 22, 2012
3. The Old Toccoa Falls Power Plant and Marker
The Old Toccoa Falls Power Plant Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Scott, February 14, 2013
4. The Old Toccoa Falls Power Plant Marker
The Old Toccoa Falls Power Plant image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 22, 2012
5. The Old Toccoa Falls Power Plant
Built in 1899
The Old Toccoa Falls Power Plant image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 22, 2012
6. The Old Toccoa Falls Power Plant
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 338 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   4. submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.   5, 6. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement