Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Sharpsburg in Washington County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

First Army Corps

Anderson's Brigade, Meade's Division

 
 
First Army Corps Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, February 9, 2008
1. First Army Corps Marker
Inscription.
U.S.A.
First Army Corps.
Anderson's Brigade, Meade's Division.

Lieut. Col. Robert Anderson, 9th Penn. Reserve,
Commanding.
Organization.
9th Pennsylvania Reserves, 11th Pennsylvania Reserves,
10th Pennsylvania Reserves, 12th Pennsylvania Reserves.
(September 17, 1862.)

Anderson's Brigade advanced from this point about 6/30 a.m., in support of Gibbon's, Phelps' and Patrick's Brigades of Doubleday's Division. Midway between the North Woods and the D.R. Miller house, the 10th Regiment was sent to the west about 700 yards to protect the flank of the Union line against a threatened advance of the enemy. The three remaining regiments became engaged with the enemy in the north edge of the cornfield south of the Miller house.
 
Erected by Antietam Battlefield Board. (Marker Number 24.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Antietam Campaign War Department Markers marker series.
 
Location. 39° 29.318′ N, 77° 45′ W. Marker is near Sharpsburg, Maryland, in Washington County. Marker is on Mansfield Avenue, on the left when traveling east. Click for map. Located to the west of stop two of the driving tour of Antietam Battlefield. Marker is in this post office area: Sharpsburg MD 21782, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers.
First Army Corps Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Scott, September 19, 2015
2. First Army Corps Marker
At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named First Army Corps (here, next to this marker); Union Line of Battle (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named First Army Corps (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named First Army Corps (about 300 feet away); Patrick's Brigade (about 300 feet away); The 7th Indiana Infantry (about 600 feet away); 7th Regiment Pennsylvania (about 700 feet away); Clara Barton (about 700 feet away); a different marker also named Clara Barton (about 800 feet away); The Culmination of Another Great Tragedy was at Hand (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Sharpsburg.
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Anderson's Brigade, 3rd Division, I Corps Tablets
 
Also see . . .
1. Antietam Battlefield. National Park Service site. (Submitted on March 2, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 

2. 3rd Brigade, 3rd Division, I Corps. Lt. Col. Anderson assumed command of this four regiment brigade of Pennsylvania reserves when Col. Thomas F. Gallagher was wounded on September 14 at the battle of South Mountain. (Submitted on March 2, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Tablets along Mansfield Avenue image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, February 9, 2008
3. Tablets along Mansfield Avenue
 

3. Private Samuel Johnson - Medal of Honor. Johnson, of company G, 9th Pennsylvania Reserves, received the Medal of Honor for seizing the colors of the 1st Texas Infantry Regiment. (Submitted on March 2, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 

4. Robert Anderson. Robert Anderson (June 14, 1805 – October 26, 1871) was a United States Army officer during the American Civil War. (Submitted on October 25, 2015, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.) 
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
First Army Corps Marker (Left) image. Click for full size.
By Brian Scott, September 19, 2015
4. First Army Corps Marker (Left)
Brig. General Robert Anderson (1805-1871) image. Click for full size.
By Brian Scott
5. Brig. General Robert Anderson (1805-1871)
North Woods image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, February 9, 2008
6. North Woods
The North Woods stood to the south of the modern park road, Mansfield Avenue. At the time of the battle, this hill side was entirely covered by the thicket. To the north (behind the camera) is the Joseph Poffenberger Farm. Anderson's Brigade, minus the 10th Pennsylvania Reserves, advanced south. The regiments were arrayed with the 9th's right flank touching the Hagerstown Pike, the 11th was in the middle, and the 12th was on the left. When the three regiments pressed forward to the edge of the cornfield, they met the 1st Texas Regiment holding the flank of Wofford's Brigade.
Hagerstown Pike image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, February 9, 2008
7. Hagerstown Pike
Looking to the southwest from the marker location, the Old Hagerstown Pike runs next to the three tablets on the right. The modern Maryland highway 65 runs parallel to the historical road here. This angle of view not only captures the "right guide" for the 9th Pennsylvania as it marched south, but also portions of the Nicodemus Farm where the 10th Regiment was detached to guard the Federal flank.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 744 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.   2. submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.   3. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.   4, 5. submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.   6, 7. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement