Inscription. William B. Scott, Sr., a free Black, migrated to East Tennessee in 1847 after increased racial tension in North Carolina. He made harnesses and saddles in Blount County’s Quaker community of Friendsville until the Civil War. In Knoxville, during the War, Scott learned the trade of printing. Later moving to Nashville, in April 1865 he founded The Colored Tennessean, the first newspaper for African Americans in Tennessee. In 867, he moved his press to Maryville.
By Judith Barber, August 16, 2012
|1. William Bennett Scott, Sr. Marker|
Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1 E 109.)
Location. 35° 45.144′ N, 83° 58.252′ W. Marker is in Maryville, Tennessee, in Blount County. Marker is at the intersection of West Lamar Alexander Parkway (U.S. 321) and Cates Street, on the right when traveling east on West Lamar Alexander Parkway. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Maryville TN 37801, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. New Providence Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Montvale Springs (approx. 0.2 miles away); Pride Mansion (approx. ¼ mile away); Relief of Knoxville (approx. ¼ mile away); Where Houston Enlisted (approx. ¼ mile away); Maryville College (approx. half a mile away); John Craig's Fort (approx. half a mile away); Freedman's Institute (approx. 0.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Maryville.
Credits. This page originally submitted on August 27, 2012, by Judith Barber of Marietta, Georgia. This page has been viewed 66 times since then. Photo 1. submitted on August 27, 2012, by Judith Barber of Marietta, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |