Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Douglas Flat in Calaveras County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

The Italian Store

 
 
The Italian Store Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, September 1, 2008
1. The Italian Store Marker
Inscription. Built is 1861 by Antonio and Caterina Gagliardo. Served as a Post Office and social center for the community of Douglas Flat. A hand dug well located next to the store supplied Douglas Flat with good fresh water and remains in good shape today. James Malespina purchased the store in 1885 where it remained in the family for several years.

A Wells Fargo office also occupied the building with a safe and armed guard to protect the gold from the Table Mountain and along Coyote Creek. The mines included The Ohio, Hitchcock, Southwestern, Texas and the Lone Star. Some of these are located directly behind the store. The guard stationed at the rear of the building at its noticeable gun port. Should anyone try to bust the safe, he only had to poke his shotgun through the port that was aligned with the safe and pull the trigger.
 
Erected 2001 by Matuca Chapter 1849, E Clampus Vitus (September 15, 2001).
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
 
Location. 38° 6.978′ N, 120° 27.248′ W. Marker is in Douglas Flat, California, in Calaveras County. Marker is on Main Street, on the left when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Douglas Flat CA 95229, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers.
The Italian Store with Marker on the Left image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, September 1, 2008
2. The Italian Store with Marker on the Left
At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Douglas Flat (approx. 0.2 miles away but has been reported missing); Site of Brownsville (approx. 1.1 miles away); Joseph Schachten (approx. 1.2 miles away); Murphys Grammar School (approx. 1.4 miles away); Buena Vista Cemetery (approx. 1.4 miles away); Dunbar House (approx. 1.5 miles away); Valente Building (approx. 1.5 miles away); Ebbetts Pass Veterans Memorial (approx. 1.5 miles away).
 
Categories. Natural ResourcesNotable BuildingsNotable PlacesSettlements & Settlers
 
Interior View of the Italian Store image. Click for full size.
August 24, 2012
3. Interior View of the Italian Store
Interior View of the Italian Store image. Click for full size.
August 24, 2012
4. Interior View of the Italian Store
Gilleado Building Plaque, Inside the Italian Store image. Click for full size.
August 24, 2012
5. Gilleado Building Plaque, Inside the Italian Store
Gilleado Building
1851
This stone and adobe building, built in 1851, served as a bank and Wells Fargo stage stop. A little iron-shuttered opening at the left of the rear door opened to a lean-to cabin where the guard kept his shotgun trained at all times on the safe inside the bank building. The building also served as the general store.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 1,766 times since then and 33 times this year. Last updated on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.   3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement