Inscription. John Deere learned the blacksmith trade here as an apprentice in the shop of Capt. Benjamin Lawrence from 1821 to 1825. The shop was located below this spot on Mill Street, in what is known as "Frog Hollow". In 1836 Deere removed to Grand Detour, Illinois where, in 1837, he built the world's first steel moldboard plow.
By Cosmos Mariner, July 3, 2005
|1. John Deere Historical Marker|
Erected 1968 by Vermont Board of Historic Sites.
Location. 44° 0.765′ N, 73° 10.155′ W. Marker is in Middlebury, Vermont, in Addison County. Marker is on Main Street 0.1 miles south of Mill Street, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. The marker is located in a small park between Park Street and Main Street, across Main Street from the Ilsley Public Library. Marker is at or near this postal address: 78 Main Street, Middlebury VT 05753, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within 9 miles of this marker, as the crow flies. Robert Frost (approx. 8.9 miles away).
Also see . . . John Deere - Inventor - Wikipedia. (Submitted on August 31, 2012, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
Credits. This page originally submitted on August 29, 2012, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 191 times since then. Photo 1. submitted on August 29, 2012, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide view of the marker • Can you help?
|Recommend or Share This Page. |