Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Ft. George Island in Duval County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

St. George Episcopal Church

 
 
St. George Episcopal Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, July 10, 2012
1. St. George Episcopal Church Marker
Inscription. St. George Episcopal Church, designed by Robert S. Schuyler and built in 1882, is a fine example of Carpenter Gothic, one of the most distinctive varieties of church architecture. Such churches were promoted by Floridas second bishop, John Freeman Young (1820-1885) just after the Civil War. Bishop Young divided north Florida into regions defined by major water bodies. These churches along the St. Johns River included St. George Episcopal Church on Ft. George Island. Using local materials and craftsmen, Carpenter Gothic became the preferred form of church construction from 1867 to 1924. Gothic architectural characteristics are defined by: a steep gable roof, a narrow rectangular building shape, pointed lancet windows and a bell tower. New York architect R. Dennis Chantrell (1783-1872) best described this type of church as a handsome church, which is a kind of standing sermon.

A Florida Heritage Site

 
Erected 2005 by St. George Episcopal Church, and the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-544.)
 
Location. 30° 24.81′ N, 81° 25.76′ W. Marker is in Ft. George Island, Florida, in Duval County. Marker is on Fort George Road, on the left when traveling north
St. George Episcopal Church Marker, looking north along Fort George Road image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, July 10, 2012
2. St. George Episcopal Church Marker, looking north along Fort George Road
. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 10560 Fort George Road, Jacksonville FL 32226, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Huguenot Memorial Site (approx. half a mile away); Jean Ribaut (approx. 0.8 miles away); Fort George Island (approx. one mile away); Site of the Mission of San Juan del Puerto (approx. one mile away); Ribault Club Inn (approx. one mile away); Slave Cabins (approx. 1.7 miles away); a different marker also named Slave Cabins (approx. 1.7 miles away); a different marker also named Slave Cabins (approx. 1.7 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Historic St. George Episcopal Church. St. George’s building remains essentially unchanged and has been recognized by the City of Jacksonville and the State of Florida as an historic building. (Submitted on September 1, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.) 
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
St. George Episcopal Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, July 10, 2012
3. St. George Episcopal Church and Marker
St. George Episcopal Church seen from Fort George Road image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, July 10, 2012
4. St. George Episcopal Church seen from Fort George Road
St. George Episcopal Church image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, July 10, 2012
5. St. George Episcopal Church
St. George Episcopal Church Marker, looking south along Fort George Road image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, July 10, 2012
6. St. George Episcopal Church Marker, looking south along Fort George Road
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 334 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement