Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Warrenton in Fauquier County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Warrenton

 
 
Warrenton Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, September 1, 2012
1. Warrenton Marker
Inscription. Chosen as county seat in 1759, and first called Fauquier Court House, Warrenton was laid out as a town in 1790. John Marshall began law practice here. In the War Between the States it was the center of operations north of the Rappahannock and many wounded were hospitalized here. Union General Pope headquartered here in the Second Manassas campaign. Seizing the local press, the Unionists edited the newspaper as “The New York Ninth.” Mosby, The Ranger, made forays in this vicinity.
 
Erected 1948 by Virginia Conservation Commission. (Marker Number Q-9.)
 
Location. 38° 43.021′ N, 77° 48.466′ W. Marker is in Warrenton, Virginia, in Fauquier County. Marker is at the intersection of West Shirley Avenue (U.S. 17) and Waterloo Street (Business U.S. 211), on the left when traveling south on West Shirley Avenue. Click for map. This intersection also includes Frost Avenue (U.S. 211) and Broadview Avenue (U.S. 29 Business). It is in front of Carousel Frozen Treats, the frozen custard stand with the bright pink awning on the southeast corner of the intersection. Marker is at or near this postal address: 346 Waterloo St, Warrenton VA 20186, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of
Warrenton and Black Horse Cavalry Markers image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, September 1, 2012
2. Warrenton and Black Horse Cavalry Markers
this marker. Black Horse Cavalry (here, next to this marker); Executions in the Yard (approx. 0.7 miles away); John Singleton Mosby (approx. 0.7 miles away); Lafayette’s Stepping Stone (approx. 0.7 miles away); a different marker also named Warrenton (approx. 0.7 miles away); Norris Tavern / The Warren Green (approx. 0.7 miles away); a different marker also named Warrenton (approx. 0.7 miles away); Leeton Forest (approx. one mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Warrenton.
 
More about this marker. This marker was moved here from its original location on Culpeper Street (the current County Route 802) at the southwestern entrance to town on the western road from Culpeper via Jeffersonton. This was a primary Virginia route (State Route 29) that was demoted to a county road the same year the marker was erected.
 
Also see . . .  General History. “According to an early account, ‘Huge wagons and vans come over the mountains from the rich counties of Orange, Culpeper, Rappahannock and Loudoun, loaded with wheat, corn and oats; the housewife sent her poultry and dried fruit; great herds of cattle wended their way to this town...For its size (604 population in 1860), Warrenton was the richest town in the whole South’.” (Submitted on September 1, 2012.) 
 
Categories. Colonial EraWar, US Civil
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 426 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement