Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Chattanooga in Hamilton County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Headquarters Row

Generals and Ghosts

 
 
Headquarters Row Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, August 1, 2012
1. Headquarters Row Marker
Inscription. Beginning in 1862, Confederate Gens. Braxton Bragg, Daniel Ledbetter, and Joseph E. Johnston, followed by Union Gens. William S. Rosecrans and George H. Thomas, occupied the Greek Revival-style Richardson house, which stood nearby at 320 Walnut Street. When Union Gen. Ulysses S. Grant arrived in Chattanooga on October 23, 1863, he first made his headquarters there. Grant soon moved to the nearby T.J. Lattner house here at the corner of 1st and Walnut Streets. Lattner served in the Confederate army, and following the arrival of Union forces, his wife, Josephine, and their children moved to Georgia. Grant remained in the Lattner house while he planned the attacks that drove the Confederate army from Chattanooga. After Grant departed late in 1864 to take overall command of the Union armies, Gen. William T. Sherman used the house as his headquarters and there prepared plans for the pivotal campaign that led to the capture of Atlanta.

After the war, the army returned the house to Lattner, who moved back to Chattanooga. Union veterans, who wanted the Lattner house to become a historic site, placed a marker there noting its role as Grant's headquarters. Local residents told ghost stories about the house, claiming that a soldier once executed for dereliction of duty still haunted the place to prove his allegiance to his Union commanders.
Headquarters Row Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, August 1, 2012
2. Headquarters Row Marker
View of the civil war era picture taken of the captured Confederate cannon assembled by the Richardson house.
Others claimed to see the ghosts of Grant and Sherman in the parlor. The house was demolished in 1966.
 
Erected by Tennessee Civil War Trails.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Tennessee Civil War Trails marker series.
 
Location. 35° 3.344′ N, 85° 18.479′ W. Marker is in Chattanooga, Tennessee, in Hamilton County. Marker is on East 1st Street west of Walnut Street, on the left when traveling west. Click for map. This historic marker is located in the downtown area of Chattanooga, near the riverfront, on what use to be a street that has been turned into a vehicle free walkway. Marker is in this post office area: Chattanooga TN 37403, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of Battery Smartt (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Trail of Tears (about 700 feet away); Ross's Landing (about 700 feet away); 1790 John Ross 1866 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Chattanooga's First Citizens (approx. 0.2 miles away); "Cherokee" (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Ross's Landing (approx. 0.2 miles away); Ernest Walter Holmes, Sr. (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Chattanooga.
 
More about this marker. This historic
Headquarters Row Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, August 1, 2012
3. Headquarters Row Marker
View of the Civil War era picture of the Richardson house.
marker is located very near what use to be the intersection of East 1st Street and Walnut Street. Although Walnut Street use to continue north and cross the Tennessee River on a bridge, it presently ends at this intersection. The bridge, although it still exists, is currently a pedestrian bridge. The historic marker is just a few short steps to the west of Walnut Street, on a pedestrian walkway, on what use to be East 1st Street.
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
Headquarters Row Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, August 1, 2012
4. Headquarters Row Marker
View of the historic marker and the background area.
Headquarters Row Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, August 1, 2012
5. Headquarters Row Marker
View looking west along the pedestrian walkway that use to be East 1st Street.
Headquarters Row Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, August 1, 2012
6. Headquarters Row Marker
View of the historic marker looking east towards nearby Walnut Street.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 391 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.   2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement