“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fountain Valley in Orange County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)

Colonia Jaurez

Colonia Jaurez Marker image. Click for full size.
By Greg Ullman, September 17, 2012
1. Colonia Jaurez Marker
Inscription. Established in 1923 with six streets on lots sized 50 by 300. A complete community with stores, recreation facilities, and churches. (Holy Family Mission still exists).
Erected 1976 by Fountain Valley Historical Society. (Marker Number 6.)
Location. 33° 42.891′ N, 117° 56.757′ W. Marker is in Fountain Valley, California, in Orange County. Marker is on Ward Street, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 17101 Ward Street, Fountain Valley CA 92708, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hoffman House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Horse Ranch (approx. 0.6 miles away); Helicopter Landing Pad (approx. 0.8 miles away); Rancho Lucero (approx. one mile away); Nimocks Home (approx. one mile away); Ishii Home (approx. one mile away); Fountain Valley Drive-In (approx. one mile away); Slaughter House (approx. 1.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Fountain Valley.
More about this marker. Title is misspelled: "Jaurez" should be "Juarez". Source: Fountain Valley Historical Society Presents a Guide to our City's Historical Sites. 1976.
Additional comments.
Holy Spirit Christian Church image. Click for full size.
By Greg Ullman, September 17, 2012
2. Holy Spirit Christian Church
Marker is on the right corner of the building.

In 1923, Mrs. Ashby Turner and Josephine M. Turner subdivided a 40 acre parcel located on the southwest corner of Wintersberg Avenue (now Warner) and Ward Street. They recorded the tract map (569), showing streets, alleys and double sized lots (50 by 300). The Turners with the aid of Mr Salomon Gonzales and his wife Eva named four streets with Mexican names and called this settlement Colonia Juarez in honor of the Mexican hero, Benito Juarez.
The Colonia was a complete community with stores, recreation facilities and churches. The Holy Family Mission still exists on this site. Transportation in the early days was by horse and buggy, bicycle or the "red car." Residents would walk a mile south to the corner of Talbert Avenue and Ward Street to board the interurban to either Santa Ana or Huntington Beach. The children from the Colonia all attended Fountain Valley School, two miles south and west from their homes.
The City of Fountain Valley recently rezoned the Colonia from A-1 (agriculture) to R-1 (single family residence).
    — Submitted February 8, 2015, by Patrick Bui of Irvine, California.

Categories. Churches, Etc.Hispanic AmericansIndustry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Greg Ullman of Fountain Valley, California. This page has been viewed 516 times since then and 85 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Greg Ullman of Fountain Valley, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement